We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for doctors western quality healthcare Samui

Brisbane...
5 posts
Save Topic
Recommendations for doctors western quality healthcare Samui

Hi everyone,

I am currently travelling through south east Asia and have been on the road for about 3 weeks with this particular week in Koh Samui ( last in Koh Penyang, next in Cambodia).

About 5 days ago I went on a speed boat trip to PhiPhi island, during this my butt (that wasn't covered by my bikini bottom) and my upper back thy was slightly burnt by the sun.

A day or so after this my sun burn has become itchy, raised or inflaimed, has small bumps all over it, is very red, warm to touch and has now since I put calamine lotion on it become swollen (may or may not be because of the calamine lotion).

I need a doctor because the google searches I have done lead me to think it could be a sun rash, poisening or eruption type thing (sun sure because Ive been tanning else where and my butt and legs never see the sun so it could be effected like this if it's more sensitive due to lack of sun normally where as my arms that are tanning at the moment see sun more) and with all of this information and treatments ranging from drugs to creams I need an answer as I'm heading to even less developed countries in the coming weeks.

If any one knows what I should do/ where I should go as I want a western doctor or a good thai one that will definatly know what to do that would be so much help....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Recommendations for doctors western quality healthcare Samui

Hi Jess,

I too have suffered from this. The only way to prevent it is by taking anti histomine tablets daily when in tropical areas. Alas they aren't much good when the rash has already started.

The best way to control it is by not using creams, staying out of the sun ( tough in Samui) and rubbing a powder called Snake Brand Prickly Heat Powder. It's available in most pharmacies in Samui and comes in a tin. It has a lovely menthol smell and will really help with the itching and the rash should start to ease in a day or two. Also if you start to get hot and sweaty, try to get in an air conditioned area as quick as possible.

It's a terrible thing to get while on holidays and hopefully this helps you out so you can enjoy your holiday still. Best of luck.

Brisbane...
5 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Recommendations for doctors western quality healthcare Samui

Thanks again everyone :) I just visited a chemist in search of some of these creams and also to see what the chemists around me were like before visiting the more out of my every day mentioned above and the lady seamed professional and knew it was sun rash etc, woo!

I got a H-Cort cream and a fexofenafine tablet and I'll let everyone know how it goes so people know what to try if they experience this while overseas also :)

13. Re: Recommendations for doctors western quality healthcare Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 31, 2014