We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first trip to thailand !

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
first trip to thailand !

Hi all, happy new year !

im making plans for a month in Thailand im thinking end of March thru to April does any1 knw if this is a good time ? where do i start and end ?? any info would b appriciated ? is it safe to travel alone as a single 33 year old and is safe for teenagers as im wondering if my 14 year old son would enjoy a month of sun,sights,spa,spice,fun fun fun .Thanks T.A X

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first trip to thailand !

Hi there

where in Thailand are you looking at?

it is a large country.

It is safe to travel alone, just be smart

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first trip to thailand !

Thai's celebrate there new year in April I believe so worth booking your stay around this if interested in street party's etc, I'm leaving in a few hours for my flight to Thailand and travelling alone really looking forward to it. I'm a 29 yr old male from UK

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first trip to thailand !

It will be VERY hot at that time of year, and mostly dry. As said, its a big country with 77 provinces, and as safe as you make it when you keep your common sense working. While you do hear some nasty stories, they are not at all common and overall a tourist is safer here than in the UK.

I would suggest a bit of googling/reading to find out a bit more about the country and what's on offer, but a good start is a few days in Bangkok, then Chiangmai, followed by a bit of R&R on a beach. Thailand has a great deal more to offer than the few places you see in holiday brochures.

Sent from my zimmer frame.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first trip to thailand !

Hi

Agree with rabbit, read as much and do the research as much as you can then ask the questions on specific forum as to which area to stay etc. also its depends on the lengths of your vacations.

The time of your travel is summer in Thailand and the weather will be pretty the same thought out Thailand.

If you're travel right through to mid April is wise to book all the accoms and internal flights/ and transport mode well and before as mid April is Thai new year ( 12-15th of April) is the big celebrations and long holidays for the Thais. Its very busy time.

I would too suggest Bangkok, Chiangmai and relax on the beach.

Just one thing though if your son happy to go along with you every thing you do that would be fen. But from my experience we have 15 years boy ( we just got back from our trip) and what my son told me he said he would prefers to have friends with him to do things with swim, walk to shops etc.

just the thought any way.

Cheers,

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first trip to thailand !

The beach is good location to go but it's quite hot in April.

On April have Songkran festival also , every province and everywhere you go during 13th - 15th April will get wet.

Check out the beach both coast of Thailand it's nice to see and do snorkeling.

Phuket (Koh Racha,Koh PiPhi,Phang Nga Bay) ,Krabi (Koh Lanta,Railay),Trang (Koh Kradan,Koh Ngai,Koh Mook etc), Best snorkeling > Mo Koh Surin ,can stay at Khao lak nice beach and quiet good for relaxing.

Koh Samui > Visti Mo Koh Ang Thong.

Other places take train to Ayutthaya or Kanjanaburi , these trips can do day trip from Bangkok.

How to travel by train : http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

Low fare for plane : http://www.airasia.com/th/en/home.page

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first trip to thailand !

I would combine Bangkok with the North going to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai then fly down South for some R&R both the andaman coast and Gulf coast will have good weather so do some research to see which place would suit you and your family best.

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first trip to thailand !

a whole month- what a treat. And your son will remember it always.

agree with others: spend a few nights in bangkok to recover, then fly up to chiang mai, or take the overnight train with first or second class sleepers (about 900B each so a cheap room for the night!).

Do spend plenty of time in chiang mai- lots and lots of activities. How about some zip lining (flight of the gibbon, or jungle flight) and some elephant time. there are lots of places for this and some of them you can stay overnight. we did the 2 night program at the Thai Elephant Conservation Centre in Lampang and it was truly wonderful. Take a little side trip while up north, say up to chiang rai, or closer to chiang dao- we spent 2 nights there last year and visited chiang dao elephant camp..

Then fly down to a beach, at that time of year, one side of the coast will be better than the other, but I can't remember which way around it is. Others will know. Then finish with a day or 2 in bangkok for that last minute shopping etc.

I am so envious!

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first trip to thailand !

WOW! thanks so much for all your responces this has helped me massivley ,defo want elephant time thats a once in a life time also scuba as i love to dive.@blessed Ur prob in the air atm but have a safe journey and an amazing time updates on ur trip would be great if u get time of course xx

Starting in Bangkok and ending in Bangkok seems to be the way to go then im thinking in between get a overnight train (thanks for links Rabbit) to Chiand Mai,Krabi island and Koh Samui but no1s really commented on Koh Samui is there any reasons for this ????

Iv decided im going to take my Son as i think he'll benefit from a trip like this!Open his mind to culture and obvs its a trip of a life time he'll never forget x

thanks for all info keep it coming !

xx

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first trip to thailand !

I agree with others re starting in BKK. Depending on your budget I'd start with a few nights at a hotel on Sukhumvit (I like the Amari Boulevard). It's near the Nana skytrain (BTS) to easily get around and is moderately touristy so plenty of English spoken. Go to Vertigo at the top of the Banyan Tree for a cocktail and a fab view. (Eating there would be expensive). Take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and walk round the corner to the Shangri-La Hotel and have Tom Kha Gai at the Thai restaurant, Salathip. Try to go daytime and in the evening, it's right on the Chao Phrya river with great views if you sit outside. Also take a river boat up from Saphan Taksin to Tha Chang pier to go to the Grand Palace etc (don't believe tuk-tuk drivers who tell you it's closed and want to take you on a tour before it opens!) Do take your son but not necessarily to Patpong!

Go up-country to Chang Mai & Chang Rai for elephant trekking etc.

Then go south to the beaches: I prefer diving on the west side, the Andaman Sea. Krabi is a good place to start but I prefer Koh Lanta as it's more relaxed.(I was not impressed by Phuket last year but it is more lively). I'm going back to dive with Lee at Palm Beach Divers for the 3rd visit within 15 months! (My daughter learned to dive here when we were out in Nov 2011). I'm told there are now mantas back at Hin Daeng!! Awesome!! We are staying next door at Nakara Longbeach but there's plenty of choice for any budget. You can also get across to Koh Samui etc if you wish (it's a long time since I've been there).

Hope this helps. Please message me for morte info. Enjoy!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first trip to thailand !

Just a friendly reminder, tourist visa is only valid for 1 month so make sure you plan your departure date 30 days from arrival.