We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

We are considering mai samui for our honeymoon this year and saw they do an all inclusive option.never been to Thailand before so would it worth going all inclusive

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

I would never stay all inclusive in Thailand. Complete waste of money. Part of the Thailand experience for me is trying the many different types of food on offer around the island. Foods relatively cheap in Thailand so I don't think AIs worth it. Having said that though Mai Samui's miles from Chaweng and Bhoput (the 2 main towns) so unless you want to spend a fortune on cabs or hire a car and drive everywhere, AI might actually be a cost effective option if you plan on staying somewhere that remote.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

Hi

I totally agree with twigyrex about all inclusive is a waste of money in Thailand. Apart from beaches cultures and history Thailand is about food( all kind of cuisine)experience . They are restaurants form a very cheap and to a very expensive as back home. However Mai Samui location are not the best if you want to have walking distance locals bars and restaurants. The resort is situated in the west end of the island which I'd opposite side of the most popular resort town the like of chweng, Lamai, cheong mon and bophut beach.

The taxi on the island is not cheap the later the more expensive. You will need to rely on the hotel shuttle to and from. A car hire would be wise options if you wish to stay there.

Cheers,

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

Totally agree with Twiggyrex and Sweatpea, I would never do AI in Thailand. One of the main reasons we go there is all the food experiences, can't imagine a holiday without it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

Ditto!! Don't go all inclusive you will miss out on some amazing Thai good and experiences!!! Get breaky included and then wing it :)

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,119 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

------------ DITTO ----------------

AI concept was started in the Caribbean where going out of the hotel was not always a great option, so all the food and drink was included to prevent the down turn in tpurism when folks visited bars etc . . . .

AI in Thailand is not something I would ever consider. Did a sort of AI in Malaysia a couple of times, but this was in very, very remote locations and whilst it included all the food and soft drinks, alcohol was not included.

But, like the others, as the location of the Mai Samui is on the far west of the island and there will not be much around and outside the hotel, this is probably the way the hotel pulls in the punters.

The risk is you will enjoy your honeymoon and never leave the hotel grounds, which is a huge shame!

If this is the hotel for you, then if you do go AI, then do get out and experiance some lovely food!

Happy Honeymoon!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

I agree with the others AI isn't a good option in Thailand, there are countless hotels in Samui to suit all budgets in better areas than where this hotel is located.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

Agree with all those comments regarding not doing all inclusive, a complete waste of time going to Thailand if you are going to do this as you miss out on all the wonderful choices and atmosphere outside the hotel. Spend the money you save and hire a car to get out and about, it's a small island and very difficult to get lost.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

Mai Samui is so remote that there are probably only 20 restaurants between there and Nathon.

Looe
Level Contributor
84 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

Hi

You are choosing a remote part of the island with nothing nearby. You are not even close to the beach. All inclusive is usually not a good idea in Thailand as there are so many good places to eat although if you really want to stay at that hotel it may be your best option. Two hotels worth visiting near there are Nikki Beach Resort and Baan Sabai Sunset. Both are great for lunch. You will need to hire a car or you will be a prisoner at the hotel and miss the best parts of Samui to eat and drink. Check the hotel location carefully before you commit to book. Hope this helps.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mai samui all inclusive is it worth it

I agree, going out to eat is one of the great pleasure, also, if you are on honeymoon Do stay at one of the lovely beach accommodations, there are so many hotels, resorts, boutique style places perhaps with own jacuzzi or small pool, being on the beach of a tropical island for a honeymoon is so much better.