We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamai for a family holiday?

South Australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Lamai for a family holiday?

We are a family of 4, two kids aged 11 and 8 and I've been researching Koh Samui for our next holiday. Last few years we've been to the pacific but want something a bit different this time.

After hours and hours of research I am leaning towards Lamai, we are looking for a nice beach with local restaurants within walking distance and Chaweng looks too touristy and busy for what we are after.

I've read a few reviews saying Lamai has more girlie bars than anywhere else. Does this mean we should avoid the area do you think? Does this make the whole area a bit seedy?

Thanks for any advice, cheers!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamai for a family holiday?

Katelucy,

Yeah, a few more girlie bars, but no big deal.. They aren't in your face. In fact, girls working at such bars are very friendly to families, including the children. Most of the girlie bars are located in a central square like area.

Lots of people, including families will stop in the evening after dinner for

drinks and people watching.. 1-2 days a week, there is muai thai boxing in the square. (There's a muai thai boxing ring in the middle.) Lamai is certainly a lot more laid back than Chaweng.. in a good way.

Check out the Lamai Wanta. I've stayed several times. It's a small boutique

like hotel, right on the beach. They have a really good restaurant on property, the hotel sits smack dab in the middle of Lamai Beach.. where the beach sand is fine. You walk down steps from the hotel pool to the beach.. The hotel is far enough from the main street so it's quiet at night, but is only minutes walk to the street.

http://www.lamaiwanta.com/Lamaiweb/index.php

The hotel has several family villas that sit closest to the beach, which might interest you.. The hotel has several buildings and sits in a well landscaped garden.. Checkout the website..

Cheers!

South Australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamai for a family holiday?

Thanks so much, I was hoping that would be the case and if it's not too in your face it won't bother us. I have been looking at Pavilion Samui or Rummana but will check out Lamai Wanta.

We are looking at spending a week on Koh Samui and then a week in Koh Tao, have read so many reviews my head is spinning.

Thanks heaps for your help, cheers!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamai for a family holiday?

You can avoid the girlie bars but they are along one of the main streets. For a family holiday I would personally be looking at either Choeng Mon or South Chaweng (quieter than Central Chaweng). I've always found Lamai Beach to be a bit open and windswept for my liking (just personal taste).

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamai for a family holiday?

I would check out the hotels on the tip of South chaweng like Paradise Samui, the beach is wonderful and you're within walking distance to Central Chaweng.

South Australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamai for a family holiday?

Thanks for the tip, I've actually googled South Chaweng a fair bit and we were considering Poppies before we started looking at Lamai. The Paradise Samui looks fabulous. Any advice re choosing between Poppies and Paradise?

Mansfield
Level Contributor
589 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lamai for a family holiday?

I like Lamai, the girlie bars have never bothered us, but for a family hoilday I'd go to Choeng Mon.

The beach is very children friendly, plenty of local good restaurants and while its a popular spot its not that noisy or busy. Have you looked at Imperial Boat House, Honeys, White House?

Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lamai for a family holiday?

My wife and I are staying at Rocky's close to Lamai in the new year. Any tips on places to eat which beaches to visit etc would be great for those that have visited Lamai.

Sorry for hijacking this post!

South Australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lamai for a family holiday?

I've now checked out all those suggested and am torn between Lamai, South Chaweng and Choeng Mon. I think as we are going to Koh Tao the time we spend in Koh Samui we might be better being a bit closer to the action while not right in it so we are leaning towards Paradise Samui or Poppies in South Chaweng.

Thanks to everyone for your help, cheers!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lamai for a family holiday?

Poppies is always highly recommended here on TA.

10. Re: Lamai for a family holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 30, 2013