Now I am not posting this to spread panic just giving a heads up if you are thinking of purchasing lamps in Samui.
We got two lamps in Fishermans Village earlier in the year. One of which blew up in spectacular fashion when I switched in on last night (we have been using them no problems for months).
The plugs were converted by an electrician. The original cords are very thin and flexible, and over time they have bent/flexed so much at the switch then when I grabbed it to switch it on, it broke, shorted out and exploded the wire away from the switch. Of course while I was holding the thing which resulted in a small flash burn to my hand and my sheets!
Not to mention, it scared the you-know-what's out of me.
Just keep in mind if you do buy anything electrical in Thailand to consider getting the cords swapped over to the thicker, better quality ones in Australia.
All I can say is I am so thankful for our safety switches which prevented me getting a shock at the same time.