We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical items in Samui

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Electrical items in Samui

Hi guys,

Now I am not posting this to spread panic just giving a heads up if you are thinking of purchasing lamps in Samui.

We got two lamps in Fishermans Village earlier in the year. One of which blew up in spectacular fashion when I switched in on last night (we have been using them no problems for months).

The plugs were converted by an electrician. The original cords are very thin and flexible, and over time they have bent/flexed so much at the switch then when I grabbed it to switch it on, it broke, shorted out and exploded the wire away from the switch. Of course while I was holding the thing which resulted in a small flash burn to my hand and my sheets!

Not to mention, it scared the you-know-what's out of me.

Just keep in mind if you do buy anything electrical in Thailand to consider getting the cords swapped over to the thicker, better quality ones in Australia.

All I can say is I am so thankful for our safety switches which prevented me getting a shock at the same time.

Steph :)

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Electrical items in Samui

Sounds like you had a lucky escape and your advice about changing the cords is sound.

The standards of a lot of electrical work in Thailand is quite frankly, shocking (sorry). I do my own work now after seeing some guys work around our house in Bangkok. One guy said it was his last job because he was going to be a motorbike taxi guy instead. I asked him why and he said it was because he learned everything he knew from his brother who was also an electrician. What happened to his brother? Dead. Dead from, you guessed it, electrocution.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electrical items in Samui

That could have been so much worse. Steph.

I got 2 pretty big electric shocks at Poppies last year when turning on the outdoor fan. I reported it, they sent the sparky around 10 mins later. He "fixed" the cords "No problem now sir". 5 mins later, I give it a try, only to receive a bigger electric shock than before it was apparently "fixed". Talk about dodgy wiring/workmanship.

Edited: 10:47 pm, November 14, 2012
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Electrical items in Samui

It's always worth checking the wiring on the electric shower if your room has one. A lot of them are not connected to earth, Unfortunately a lot of Thai electricians think an earth connection is not required or dangerous. Better to take a cold shower than risk a shock.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electrical items in Samui

Wow, it sounds like a theme hey? Hubby who is an electrician does get a kick out of photographing electric poles in Thailand, I don't seem to get the joke, but I am assuming it's something we would never see here at home.

I am lucky to have hubby to check things out for me, now I am going to be paranoid in Thailand again, might just get hubby to bring his multi-meter lol.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electrical items in Samui

Gosh Steph that is very scary, so glad you have a safety switch. I have never bought electrical items in Thailand for this reason.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electrical items in Samui

hi guys

the problem could well be the switch itself [or the way the wiring enters the switch ]

but in general the wireing in most thai products is pretty good

many older places dont have earths here in thailand

however last few years much has improved with standards here on samui and in general in thailand

all properties we manage are fully earthed and secure

like all things you need to shop around

cheers

dean cleeton

Canberra
Level Contributor
582 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electrical items in Samui

A couple of years ago at Q-Signature when they were replacing the decking around the main pool the workmen strung the electric extension cord for their power tools across the pool - not supported above, actually in the water! I still have the photo somewhere.

I also have lots of photos of the amazing electrical wiring in various parts of Thailand including Samui and I'm not an electrician.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Electrical items in Samui

You mean similar to these workers?

www.flickr.com/photos/slworking/2218655624/

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electrical items in Samui

Hi la0wei,

Lets hope that its a joke & there aren't really morons like this living in Darwin.

Mac

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Electrical items in Samui

Hi

Great pictures LaOwei. Not sure they are idiots or genius lol.

Steph glad you ok and thanks for warnings !!