We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Where to stay?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
76 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Where to stay?

My husband and I are planning to go to Koh Samui in December, but am totally lost as to which area and hotel to stay in.

We would like a really nice hotel that would combine great scenery and beach (the kind u see in movies! :) ) but at the same time we don't want something completely secluded.

Thanks

England
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Where to stay?

Hi, Look at the Centara Grand, its in Cheweng and at one end so not in the heart of the nightlife but can walk into it, is on a very nice stretch of beach in Cheweng too.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
76 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Where to stay?

Thanks! Just checked it out, looks nice.

Just to have more options, do you have other suggestions specifically is there one with more of villas-style accommodation?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Where to stay?

Hi

Do you man this December ? If so you will have to be fast December - feb is peak season most hotel are already fully book.

South chaweng beach ( where Centara grand situated )if you are want beautiful beach away form busyness but easy access to amenities. Check out Poppies beach resort, Samui resotel.

Cheongmon beach same quality beach as South chaweng beach but a lot quieter with enough bars and restaurants

Imperial boat house

White House

Sala Samui

You don't say your budget but check them out any way.

Or go to chaweng noi beach ( my favorite beach along with south chaweng beach ) very quiet just small beach handful of resorts half way between chaweng and Lamai beach.

Impiana

Imperial beach

Fair house

New star resort

Good luck

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Where to stay?

Great beaches - South Chewang, Cheong Mon or Chaweng Noi.

Cheong mon is quiter than South Chewang and so is Chaweng Noi.

Better get a hurry on for this December, you will be lucky to find the hotel of your choice at that time of year at such late notice.

Good luck :)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
76 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Where to stay?

I never realized it was late! Thought had enough time... Thanks for letting me know

A checking all the options, I also came across the Anantara resort and spa on chewang beach, any feedback on that one please? Thx :)

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Where to stay?

There are two Anantara resort one one Chaweng beach ( north of chaweng beach, the beach are not the best as the one in the south, cheongmon and chaweng noi).

The others Anantara is in bophut beach ( next to fisherman village the hub for up market restaurants and bars) again the beach are not the best.

However if the beach are not your top priority then I would suggest Anantara bophut.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
76 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Where to stay?

Ok thanks!

I am lost there are so many options!

If you were to name one 'wow' beach and hotel, which would it be?

Thanks

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Where to stay?

Well that's hard for me. Most " wow " resort are often is 5* and its something I can't afford. But if I ever win lottery I would go for :)

1. W retreat

2. Tongsai bay cottage

Seriously check out Tongsai bay cottage in cheongmon beach twiggyrex the TA members often recommended for the service, quality, secluded beach and beautiful resort.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Where to stay?

That's an impossible ask. The best beaches are Choeng Mon and South Chaweng and if sweetpea says so, also Chaweng Noi (never been there). However, none of the truly wow hotels are located on those beaches. Also, the wow hotels are not located in either of the 2 main resorts (Bhoput and Chaweng). They're in what many people would describe as secluded locations but by that I mean 10-15 minutes (maximum) drive from one of the 2 main resorts. So you're not going to find a wow resort on either of the 3 best beaches and (with 1 exception) if you stay in a wow resort you're not going to be able to walk to lmany ocal restaurants and bars.

Here's my take on wow resorts.

First Tongsai bay. Not the newest swishest hotel on the island but that's reflected in lower prices. The grand villas are spacious and the resort has stunning grounds and beautiful views from the oversized balconies. The accomodation is very much traditional thai (teak and silks) and the resort overall really feels like a tropical paradise hideaway. Service is exceptional and Tongsai also has great food and spa. Beach is private and stunning to look at (gleaming white) but the sand is grainy not talcum powder textured. Its located in the next bay along from Choeng Mon and you can walk to that beach and its 20 or so bars and restaurants in 15 minutes. Its 10 minutes by cab to bhoput or Chaweng. Its wow factor is its large rooms and outside space, its grounds and views, and its staff.

Banyan Tree. One of the newest and most expensive hotels on the island. Interiors are top end, very modern but the villas are concrete and the resort looks and feel concrete. Service and food is very very good but more formal than Tongsai (which is sooo laid back). Beach is good but there are rocks underwater so you'll have to wear beach shoes to swim. Located between Lamai and Chaweng so no more than 15 minutes by cab to either. Nothing much within walking distance. Its wow factor is its villas and interiors.

Conrad. very very isolated. 40 minutes drive to Chaweng. Newest and most expensive hotel on the island. No beach, just a think strip of sand and a concreee Jetty to swim off. Only really recommended if you want to stay in resort all the time or don't mind long drives to the main resort. Accomodations top end but the villas are concrete and squashed together and stacked one on top of the other in rows up the hillside. Not for me but I doubt you'll find newer more modern villa interiors. Its wow factor is its "exclusivity" and villa interiors. If I had to choose, between Conrad and Banyan Tree I'd choose Banyan Tree.

W resort. Very very modern in style and uber cool and very funky. However, its a hotel chain and the accomodation interiors could be replicated in any city in the world and not look out of place. Very very little thai influence in this hotel. You'll either love the syle or hate it. Shouldn't be much more than 15 minutes cab ride to one of the 2 main resorts. Its wow factor is its "urban cool" factor.

If you don't mind going to a less expensive hotel, I recommend Sala samui on Choeng Mon beach. Great beach and very scenic and undeveloped part of the island. 2 minutes walk from restaurants and bars. Villas are very nice, modern in feel and the resort has good food. Only downside is that the villas are not detached (they share a wall) and are surrounded by concrete walls to guarantee privacy. They're also smaller than the villas at Tongsai and Banyan Tree. However, it does provide a wow beach, easy access to local restaurants and I think for the price charaged the rooms have a wow factor. Given your criteria, this is the one I'd opt for.

Edited: 12:26 pm, October 17, 2012
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
76 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Where to stay?

Thanks a lot! Both look great :)