We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to go for clear seas for snorkelling

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year to go for clear seas for snorkelling

Hi there,

I have no fixed dates for next year travel as i have to reroute a ticket.So i am looking some advise on the best time of the year with generally good clear seas for snorkelling around the marine parks around Koh Samui?

Also which are the best places to go for snorkelling?which are also the most accessible?

I dont mind if we stay somewhere other than Koh samui either as i just want to chill and snorkel pretty much :)

Thanks everyone.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to go for clear seas for snorkelling

Hi there

You could use samui as your base but If the main priority is snorkeling then perhaps head to koh Tao instead. Koh Tao is well known for best snorkeling and diving.

Generally the weather around koh Tao, koh Samui and koh phagnan are the best around June - August but best perhaps post your question regarding snorkeling over koh Tao forum.

If you stay in koh Samui you would have to go on the boat out for snorkeling, day trip.

There's boat / ferry runs between these islands daily.

Cheers,

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to go for clear seas for snorkelling

Thanks for the information.

I think Koh Tao it is !

Checking it out now.

Cheers

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to go for clear seas for snorkelling

Hi Funnydude.

Koh Tao is most definitely best snorkelling spot near Koh Samui. Particularly MANGO BAY. 2 Hour speedboat ride north of Samui and a lot of companies from Samui do the tour. If you are snorkelling for a number of days I would suggest staying in Koh Tao.

IMO the best time to visit Samui for hopefully perfect clear skies and hot weather would be March, April, May, June.

Cheers Bob.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to go for clear seas for snorkelling

top diving is april

clear calm and hot

months either side are also great

samui has few spots for snorkelling

phan ghan has Koh Ma

or koh Tao

where diving /snorkelling is all you can do [and a little partying

cheers

dean cleeton

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of year to go for clear seas for snorkelling

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Awesome :)

6. Re: Best time of year to go for clear seas for snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 15, 2013