We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too early to book flights???

England
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Too early to book flights???

I am at the beginning stages of planning a surprise 50th Birthday for my husband whilst on holiday in Samui in September next year. Unknown to him, all three grown-up children along with their partners will be meeting us out there for the last 10 nights of our holiday. Accommodation has already been booked and organised which just leaves their flights from the UK.

From what quotes I can get at the moment, they seem fairly high. Anything from £800 upwards for decent connecting flights. Is it because its too early to book for next year? Do you think we're better off leaving it for a few months where there maybe a chance they'll come down a bit? DO they come down a bit nearer to departure date?

Any info would be much appreciated,

Thank You.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too early to book flights???

Definately too early for Sept next year, I have not even booked June next year. Apparently June goes on sale around Feb so I am holding out. See what others say though

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too early to book flights???

Hi Rosie.

I have booked my flights already for April next year at a price I thought was very reasonable with great connections both ways. I was going to wait until early next year to look at flights but to worried about letting my current price go and paying more later. It's hard to say what is going to happen with flights whether they will go up or down. Just research all your flight options to the destination and return with the best connections and price and your heart will give you the answer.

Have a great time.

Cheers Bob & Chris.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too early to book flights???

Depends on the deals. We booked with Scoot for August 2013 because the deal was great. Keep checking the airlines you want to fly with.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too early to book flights???

Hi

I would suggest wait until after 16 th of Feb the least from my experience you will see the prices start to change dramatically after that period of time.

Note just from my experiences

Mansfield
Level Contributor
602 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too early to book flights???

Wait for the airline seat sales, Emirates for example often have theirs December ish. Also register with netflights or similar, they will email you when offers/sales are available.

I do hope £800 isn't the norm for 2013, I only paid £650 this year MAN-DUB-BKK-USM

Karachi
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too early to book flights???

Well I think you should wait for new years to approcah and then book your flights when they are offering many deals, that would be the cheapest option it would also give you ahead start because I think it is never too early to book a flight and get it over with. Hope this helps... Enjoy the birthday!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too early to book flights???

I tend to book early. Apparently there are limited seats released for a dicount price, early Once these are booked the price will go up. If you find something that you think is reasonable book it. I booked a month ago for my flights in June 2013. I have been keenly watching since booking and the prices have already increased.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
987 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too early to book flights???

Hi Marley

Who did you book with and do you mind telling me how much?

Thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
543 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too early to book flights???

We dont book until Thai bring out there specials from NZ which is usually in Jan Feb. They have a special at the moment but the flight period only goes to 31st March 2013. No good for us as we always go in May but going by past experiences they generally extend this special in the New Year. You can ask your agent to hold seats for you and then wait for specials but not all agents will do this

England
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Too early to book flights???

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.

Seems the general opinion is to hold out and wait for few more months or so and see what sales/offers come up... I do hate waiting though! I like to get the job done in these sort of things but the difference financially, in booking now or waiting for cheaper flights for 6 tickets could be pretty big so maybe on this one I'll try and hold my nerve for as long as I dare!

Fingers crossed I can get a good deal and manage to get them all on the same flight so that they can all travel together. A couple of them have done a bit of travelling in gap year etc. but the other four have not. So it would give me great deal of comfort knowing at least one of them knew what they were doing!

Thanks again.