We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet Friendly Accommodation

melbourne
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Pet Friendly Accommodation

Wondering if anyone has stayed anywhere that says it has a 'pet friendly' policy. I wonder how many people would actually take their dog or cat on holidays with them???

I am looking to stay at Mantra Samui which has this policy but not sure I am keen on spending a family holiday (with 3 children) around the pool amongst other guests dogs.

Has anyone stayed here & what did they think???

Thanks

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pet Friendly Accommodation

I've never seen anyone take their pet to any hotel whilst in Thailand, especially somewhere like the Mantra!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pet Friendly Accommodation

Not sure if you are actually serious?! But even if you did take you dog to Thailand, you would never get it back into Australia without parting with some major $$$$! You need to quarantine the animal for over a month upon your return and it costs thousands. Like almost 5 figures.

And why on earth would you want to subject the poor pooch to such a long flight? Get a doggy sitter and leave them be.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pet Friendly Accommodation

stephfennell, I think hewey doesn't actually want to take a pet, but doesn't want to spend time around the pool with other peoples pets - that's if they are serious!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pet Friendly Accommodation

Hi

I have never see any such policy at any hotel/resort around koh Samui maybe I never look for.

There are numbers of stray dogs on beach though and are quite friendly. we Usally feed them some left over. Next day the seems to remember us :-)

melbourne
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pet Friendly Accommodation

Thank you my fears have been put to rest. I couldn't see why anyone would bring their pet on holidays with them - glad others also agree!!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pet Friendly Accommodation

OMG! I am so sorry!!! I thought you wanted to take your dog! I couldn't for the life of me understand why. Now I feel stupid!!!

While I recover from the embarrassment, I will say that there are plenty of stray dogs in Thailand and you do see them on the beach. The hotel staff usually shoo them away and unless you seek them out, they should leave you alone.

Well, I really do feel like a doofus now :(

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pet Friendly Accommodation

On Koh Samui in those type of resorts you would not see dogs on holiday with their owners, but throughout Thailand Thai and other local residents Do take their dogs on holiday sometimes and there are pet friendly places, but those would be different destinations from places like Samui. Or, different style accommodations.

The dogs you see around Samui are what I would term 'free living' dogs, some may have managed to train humans to look after them and feed them, others do their own thing, if you leave them alone they leave you alone :)

Edited: 5:49 am, August 19, 2012
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pet Friendly Accommodation

The stray dog problem is a lot less than it was in 1994 when I first arrived in Samui. The Dog and Cat Rescue Centre at Samui does some fantastic work with the stray dogs and many of the islands animals have been neutered or taken in to the animal shelters they have in Chaweng and also on the east of the island. Also many of the temples now house some of the stray dogs and feed them which is wonderful and many of the nicer hotels donate their scraps to the Centre to feed the animals.

We do have many pet friendly accommodations in Australia too, but as Monica says, most people wouldn't be taking their dogs to a tourist island like Samui.

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pet Friendly Accommodation

Hewyrosey4- the mantra was one of the places I looked at too, and when I saw that policy I was a little taken back also. Also how much people complained about the hills and that it was hard to walk around the hotel. We decided against the Mantra.

St. Petersburg...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pet Friendly Accommodation

I'm going to Samui with my cat. Could anyone recommend a cat-friendly hotel?