We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

Scotland
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

I have read some good reports on this resort so I asked for availability and luckily they have a bungalow available.

I am a bit worried thought because I keep reading that Lamai beach is not very good and is more geared to young singles rthan couples. Now I am worried we should chose another location. Can anyne who has been to Koh Samui give me an idea how bad Lamai beach really is?

Is Lamai Wanta Resort really as nice as everyone says? We have only seen a few picture on the web and so are having troube visualising what it looks like. Also should as we will be there for 12 night should we think about staying in more than one resort or stick with Lamai Wanta Resort for the full 12 nights?

Any help would be apreciated. This will be our first visit so we dont want to regret it.

Sydney, NSW
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

Yes, its a dilemma! We just stayed at the Lamai Wanta for five nights. The resort is small and very nice. We stayed in the standard room - downstairs at the back. Good rooms - simple but comfortable. The garden is lovely in this part of the complex. The real problem is, yes, Lamai. We had no idea that its the prostitution capital of Samui with lots of beer bars and 'singles'. There seemed to be a lack of good restaurants and the hotel restaurant (which is truly excellent) is not open in the evenings (maybe they are planning to in the future). If only they could pick up the resort and put in down in a more pleasant environment! If I was staying for 12 days I would definitely stay in more than one place - although Samui is small, the distance between the various towns is considerable and relatively expensive by taxi or van.

Sydney, NSW
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

Yes, its a dilemma! We just stayed at the Lamai Wanta for five nights. The resort is small and very nice. We stayed in the standard room - downstairs at the back. Good rooms - simple but comfortable. The garden is lovely in this part of the complex. The real problem is, yes, Lamai. We had no idea that its the prostitution capital of Samui with lots of beer bars and 'singles'. There seemed to be a lack of good restaurants and the hotel restaurant (which is truly excellent) is not open in the evenings (maybe they are planning to in the future). If only they could pick up the resort and put in down in a more pleasant environment! If I was staying for 12 days I would definitely stay in more than one place - although Samui is small, the distance between the various towns is considerable and relatively expensive by taxi or van.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

If you go to Lamai in June/july, there is hardly anyone around, a lot of those girlie bars are closed due to no business and Lamai is a very pleasant plce to be.We, as a couple, go every June and hardly notice the prostitution/sleaziness which is generally confined to "high season".

New Zealand
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

Sorry to but it but what is the high season in Saumui?

Scotland
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

Thanks everyone for your comments. We are staying at the first of September so hopefully it wont be too bad. We plan to stay 12 nights at Lamai Wanta and a further 3 nights at Nora Beach Resort. We dont mind spending a bit on taxis but like the idea of not having to move our stuff every few nights.

For those who have stayed at Lamai Wanta did you book directly with the resort? We have booked direct but they dont want a deposit which srt of makes us a bit nervous that we will turn up and wont have a bungalow.

Any other advice on the resort or Lamai beach is welcome :)

Thanks for all your help.

UK
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

Don't worry about the deposit at Lamai Wanta.I always book direct and likewise have never been required to leave a deposit and both my room and a warm welcome are always waiting for me.It's little things like this that set Lamai Wanta apart from other resorts...how many other resorts do you know that don't require a deposit for an advance booking or a credit card guarantee..not many methinks? I guess it's just a sign of this resorts confidence -and rightly so..

To describe Lamai as Samui's "Prostitution Capital" does make things sound a bit bad..Yes its true that in common with many other resorts in Thailand that as well as normal bars it does have its fair share of open air "Girlie bars" but to most people they are not exactly what could be described as crude.At worst they may provide a minor irritation while at best many couples find it quite entertaining to sit at these bars and just talk and watch life as it unfolds.

As far as distance is concerned the main resort of Chaweng is about 15 -20 mins away at night which I would not describe as considerable but evryone has there own perspective on this I guess.Personally I quite often alternate my nights out between the two resorts when I stay in Lamai.

As far as restaurants go you are more limited for choice in Lamai than Chaweng but the same goes for every other resort on the island.However there are one or two gems to be found in Lamai if you search them out.

Now for the best bit-the resort! I will not go over here what I have said many times before but if you click on my screen name and look down the list you will see a report there....suffice to say that LW is on a prime piece of beach and very quiet.If you wanted similar quality in Chaweng you would be looking at around three times the price or maybe more.However finding a similar place would be nye on impossible IMO since Lamai Wanta, in common with its deposit policy,is a one off..it is a unique small and personal family run resort that is hard to match.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

High season is dec-april and august.Greetings Paul -how bist?

UK
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

Gavin

Greetings from the land of Bemmie Down and Nawl Wess (LOS- Land of Scowls)

Apart from a small problem with me yer awl I bin keeping very well thank ye very much. And yer self whas bin up to?

Tisunt long before I’m back in Bangers so casn't be all that bad what with all that gert lush Thai food and them 24 hour Semm Elemm’s and awl.

Need to get out of Bristle proper quick my babber…goin a bit crazy,too many munter’s about and starting to tawk all funaye like.Bin on this spellin coarse ...ran by a proper Bristolian like if you nose wat I means.Bet yoom casn't tell though.

Pizzer about them Gas innit..still they’m only yewman int they …European drive will just have to start one yer later especially with the cost of petrawl and awl…I.might start one of they’m Replicawl shirt biznesses when I arrive to raise sum funds for em and I've hurd you’re the just the Kidday I needs to tawk too.

Anyways Gaw blige!!! I gotta go to work now anneye!

Tawk with yoom laters my babber

Pawl

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

Pawl,

How bist me old babber,

spellunz a problum innit, dough oi reckuns moines awrrite. funnee - lott uh soigns roun bancock spels samez oi, so noh blummin wurries eh.

I'm sure I replied to this post before, maybe there was something distasteful in it and T.A. removed it. I am one happy hammer as you can imagine. The Gas? Well, they never cease to maintain the samew level of mediocrity do they. Just one promotion in our lifetime....is that asking too much from'em.

Cheers,

gavin

UK
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lamai Wanta Resort and ocation

Gaw blimey Gavin, eyes casn't beleeve wot me thuther eyes tiz tailin me in wot yoom juz writ !

Duz dis meanz that oi haz all the wright kualficasions ta be an englush teecher in that there Bangkok just like wot ewe is? :)

Away from education and on a less serious note its my annual footy tour to St Ives this coming weekend and Roy the manager who is an ardent West Ham fan has persuaded all the lads to wear the Hammer's colours for the entire weekend. I'm sure that will help you sleep well Gavin out there in the Far East safe in the knowledge that about 25 drunken ,cider swilling, funnaye tawking West Ham "fans" will be down there in the Far West brightening up other early season holidaymakers lives.

Now taint that sumfink !