We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever

cambridge
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dengue Fever

Just returned from koh samui after having to stay an extra 9 nights as husband got dengue fever. Don't want to scare monger but just make sure you use repellant day and night. Couldn't have asked for better care in Bangkok Hospital!!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,970 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever

Thanks for reminding us the real risks of this untalked about disease.

Everyone worries about malaria, but dengue is so very much overlooked!!

Cover up and repellant!

Boots now do a aftersun creame with repellant and I swear by their jungle formula repellant spray.

Hope hubby is recovering!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever

Sorry to hear that but hope he's getting better. I always take a small repellent spray in my hand luggage to spray as soon as we arrive at the airport as you should never underestimate this problem.

Perth
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever

A good reminder to all travellers to be vigilant with applying repellent.

I even spray myself before we leave home for the airport now, after a friend contracted Dengue Fever after being bitten by a mosquito whilst checking in to the hotel!

I hope your husband recovers well.

Cheers - Wayvan

cambridge
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever

Thanks yes he is recovering well but very nasty disease.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Fever

Sorry to hear that but good to hear he is recovering.

I all ways get bitten but don't have sunscreen with repellent in it so I'm wondering if I can spray repellent over the sunscreen? Would that stop the sunscreen from working? I have fair skin and burn easily - maybe I should check that out with a pharmacy...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever

"Thanks for reminding us the real risks of this untalked about disease."

Its been mentioned here frequently on one or other of the Thailand subforums. A serious consideration for all travellers to any parts of SE Asia.

swanhillaustralia
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Fever

I've just got back from koh Samui and had a trip to outpatients with a chest infection while I was there two separate cases came in of dengue fever and it was a real eye opener these guys were sooo sick lucky we were already onto repellant and I always carry a purse size one in my bag in Australia we have lots of nasty mossie deseases so my family are pretty use to repellant I have to say I was very impressed with the care I was given and glad I had good insurance because the bill was $300 dollars for the visit I did have an X-ray but they were very professional and couldn't have asked for more hope your husband is on the mend

Perth
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Fever

Another good reminder to have up to date travel insurance!

In over 40 trips o/s we have never had to use our travel insurance, but would we risk travel without it? No way, not ever!

Edited: 9:07 am, June 26, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Fever

What are the signs and symptoms of Dengue fever? Also, what is the best type of repellent to use?

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Fever

would also like to know the symptoms