We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai New Year in koh samui

Uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Thai New Year in koh samui

Hi

We are going to koh samui and we have found out that it is Thai New Year when we are there. From what i have read on the internet it says that people throw water all over each other and they especially love throwing it over tourists??

What else happens on thai new year in samui and how many days does it last. Will everything be open or will it be limited? Thanks

uk
Level Contributor
223 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai New Year in koh samui

Hi Saxa,

I was in Koh Samui last year for Sonakram the Thai New Year. It was brilliant. I was worried to go out of the hotel at first because of what was going on, on the streets. We had a lovely meal in the evening at the hotel on the beach, and there was thai dancing and signing, and everyone was having fun. When the hotel staff had finished working they then began to enjoy their new year by throwing each other in the pool, even thought this sounds mad, it was great fun. We all joined in!

On the streets, well this is a seperate story. We actually hired a car that day because we thought most places would be shut and on our return to chaweng in the late afternoon, the road was at a complete standstill! Everybody had waterpistols, buckets of water and talcum powder and throw that all over our car, they even tried to open our doors to soak us, we returned the car back covered in talc, but they didnt seem to mind. The only thing i can say really is you have to join in, there is no way you can expect to go out without getting wet!!! I tried to go out in the evening for a nice meal, after doing my hair and got soaked!!!! I guess you have to look at the funny side of it. Also it is a ritual for thais to throw water, so if you do get annoyed with them, they wont like it, because after all Thailand is the land of smiles!!!

Enjoy yourself, have fun, and one last thing, it normally lasts about 1-2 days!

uk
Level Contributor
223 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai New Year in koh samui

Hi Saxa,

I was in Koh Samui last year for Sonakram the Thai New Year. It was brilliant. I was worried to go out of the hotel at first because of what was going on, on the streets. We had a lovely meal in the evening at the hotel on the beach, and there was thai dancing and signing, and everyone was having fun. When the hotel staff had finished working they then began to enjoy their new year by throwing each other in the pool, even thought this sounds mad, it was great fun. We all joined in!

On the streets, well this is a seperate story. We actually hired a car that day because we thought most places would be shut and on our return to chaweng in the late afternoon, the road was at a complete standstill! Everybody had waterpistols, buckets of water and talcum powder and throw that all over our car, they even tried to open our doors to soak us, we returned the car back covered in talc, but they didnt seem to mind. The only thing i can say really is you have to join in, there is no way you can expect to go out without getting wet!!! I tried to go out in the evening for a nice meal, after doing my hair and got soaked!!!! I guess you have to look at the funny side of it. Also it is a ritual for thais to throw water, so if you do get annoyed with them, they wont like it, because after all Thailand is the land of smiles!!!

Enjoy yourself, have fun, and one last thing, it normally lasts about 1-2 days!

australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai New Year in koh samui

The thai's are always open and yes don't forget to throw the water.