We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

Hi all,

I've booked a last minute ticket to Bangkok from 26th Aug 2011 - 12th Sept and will probably head towards Ko Samui for the 1st week then possibly Phuket, Phi Phi/ Krabbi for the 2nd week, however this is dependant on the Weather.

Can anyone give me the heads up in terms of weather as the forecast is showing thunderstorms.

Many thanks,

Sai

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Ko Samui
Ko Samui
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
london
Level Contributor
165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

I went to Koh Samet during September and the weather forecast said thunderstorms for the duration, but we had great weather for the vast majority of the time, with a few thunderstorms at night.

I've been to Samui during September several times and the weather has always been great. I'm off again 5 weeks tonight!

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
469 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

September weather on Koh Samui should be better than Phuket / krabi area

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/

is good for local weather as information comes from local Thai weather stations

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
469 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

The thunderstorm forecasts seem to be the default for a couple of the websites. We were in KS in September last year and it rained once - even though the forecast while we were there showed thunderstorms everyday. I am pretty sure that weather in September is better in KS that Phuket.

The other thing to remember is that if there is a thunderstorm, it often lasts for a very short time and it freshens everything up and then the sun comes out :-)

If your weather is anything like what we had last year, you will have fantastic, warm and sunny weather.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

I was in Phuket and Koh Samui late August early September last year and well, Koh Samui was ideal weather, warm, sunny and occasional late bit of rain. Phuket however due to the season tends to rain most days and be overcast with the odd sunny patch. Im returning again next week to Phuket and then Samui for first week of September and look forward to some sun in Samui........fingers crossed!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
469 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

Have you been to Bangkok before? You could spend a few days there looking around first if you aren't going to Phuket. Lots of day tours outside of Bangkok as well.

Another option is to go north for a few days. I did a package quite a few years ago for 4 nights which took in Chaing Mai, Chang Rai & Mae Hong Sorn and it was wonderful. It is a totally different Thailand to the southern beach areas. Definitely worth thinking about.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

Definitely better Koh Samui at that time of year.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

Phuket still has rainy season in September. Go to Samui.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

Hello

Why do so many tourists worry about the weather in thailand, rain in particular?

Your going to a tropical paradise, would people rather stay at home in UK in the cold miserable climate or go to thailand and sit through a few hours rain every day in the wet season.

Its actually amazing to watch a monsoon from your place of stay. Ok no one wants the rain usually.....but trust me on thailand you will be glad of it.

Embrace your trip and see it as an adventure, come rain or sun thailand is always warm.

Many people will spend all their lives dreaming about going to such a beautiful place as thailand but never actually get there so forget about the rain and indulge enjoy, relax, explore, rest,

Eat, and take care.

I will go back to thailand soon again and won't even think about the rain.

Peace out.....from spigs

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

I am sorry to disagree with you, but if i was a tourist and had only one holiday in a year and had to pay hard earned money for that, i would worry about the weather. Worry big time.

Last time we had the rain for a week in the end of March, we were cut off of the main land for a week, and had no food on the island. There were no flights, no boats, nothing. We couldn't leave our houses, the island was flooded, and people had to be rescued from Koh Tao by a military helicopter. Some hotels and houses were collapsing and the island was a disaster zone. There was nothing amazing there and you couldn't forget about the rain and indulge enjoy, relax, explore and rest. You would be stuck in your flooded hotel, hungry and frustrated. If you forgot it - I will remind you: myhomekohsamui.com/2011/03/weather_31.html

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early September weather in Phuket and Koh Samui

Where do you stay on Koh Samui, it is our first trip to Thailand

We are in our 50's. Love people watching and snorkelling.

Eating out etc. Would love a bungalow with a view. Are there any?

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
469 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand