We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongsai Bay / Sala Samui

Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Topic
Tongsai Bay / Sala Samui

I know that there's been a few posts on the two hotels in the past. Sorry if this is a bit of a repeat. We are looking at either Tongsai Bay or Sala Samui for our honeymoon. We cannot get into a Cottage Suite, but they have openings for the Beachfront Suite. Our choice for Sala Samui would be the Garden Pool Villa. Has anyone stayed in the Beachfront Suite- is it large enough? Any advice on which place to choose? Taxis and transportation are not an issue anymore..... those concerns were cleared (thank you to all who responded)

st albans, herts, uk
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tongsai Bay / Sala Samui

sala samui everytime... tongsai is dated and old fashioned- have seen both, stayed at sala and so glad i chose the right place

pls mail me jonmeredith6@hotmail.com for advice

choose sala pool villa and you will be delighted with outdoor bathroom, level of food, service and amamzing beach, 2 hotels are very close, but on different beaches

Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tongsai Bay / Sala Samui

What do you mean by old-fashioned? More traditional.... or falling apart?

st albans, herts, uk
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tongsai Bay / Sala Samui

not old fashioned in a thai style and falling apart abit... sala is modern thai, boutique type of hotel, tongsai is not that thai in style and looks like it needs a refurb

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tongsai Bay / Sala Samui

I thought tongsai had just had a massive refub as was shut before christmam for a couple of months.

ive got same dilema, there is to much choice but both are at the high end in term of price.

Trailfinders have got some good offers on at the Tongsai.

Sow
East Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tongsai Bay / Sala Samui

Hello,

We stayed at Tongsai in September 2004 for our Honeymoon for 10 nights. We are a young couple and searched long and hard to ensure we found the perfect Honeymoon retreat..it just had to be spot on as I am rather fussy with hotels!

Anyway, we found Tongsai to be absolute paradise on every level. I must take this oppurtunity to say that at no point did we think (even back in 2004) that it was dated by any standards or that it needed a refurb. The whole point of Tongsai bay is understated elegance, from the fantastic dark wood of the flooring in all accomdation to the indulgence of being able to have a bath for two on your balcony as the sun sets with one of the wonderful treats they have left you e.g. bath oils/bath salts etc.

I must say that we were lucky enough to stay in a cottage suite and it is truly wonderful, but we also took a tour of all of the other accomodation and looked around a beachfront suite. To be honest there is not theat much difference apart fron the fact that you are not as secluded as it is in a block. However the balcony is just as wonderful as the cottage suites and in some cases has better sea views (as some of the cottage suite views can be a little resticted from the trees etc).

You are right they did have refurb last year so I really don't know how anyone can say Tongsai is dated or falling apart..it is a 5* hotel and deserves it too. If anyone is in doubt just look at the website..amazing.

If you want any furthe info please let me know.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tongsai Bay / Sala Samui

Hi - I researched this extensively last year and what put me off the Sala was the fact that it's on a public beach and so potentially plagued by hawkers, jet ski - you name it. Tongsai has a private beach. We actually chose the beach front over the cottage as some of the cottages are quite a walk from the beach. There is very little difference in terms of the spaciousness of accomodation. Someone has posted pictures very recently of a beach-front room on this site - take a look! They all have private baths on the balcony.

The Sala, meanwhile, has a private 'plunge pool' on the balcony, which is appealing.

Depending on the time of year (not May-October because of the monsoon) another Thai hotel that looks fabulous is the newly opened Krabi Bay Central. We'd have booked that only we couldn't go outside the monsoon times.

Mentioned in this post
The Sala
The Sala
2 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tongsai Bay / Sala Samui

Hi - I researched this extensively last year and what put me off the Sala was the fact that it's on a public beach and so potentially plagued by hawkers, jet ski - you name it. Tongsai has a private beach. We actually chose the beach front over the cottage as some of the cottages are quite a walk from the beach. There is very little difference in terms of the spaciousness of accomodation. Someone has posted pictures very recently of a beach-front room on this site - take a look! They all have private baths on the balcony.

The Sala, meanwhile, has a private 'plunge pool' on the balcony, which is appealing.

Depending on the time of year (not May-October because of the monsoon) another Thai hotel that looks fabulous is the newly opened Krabi Bay Central. We'd have booked that only we couldn't go outside the monsoon times.

Mentioned in this post
The Sala
The Sala
2 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
England
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tongsai Bay / Sala Samui

Just to add. I would not call the Sala pool a 'plunge pool' it is 5m x 3m and alot bigger than it looks in the pics!

Mentioned in this post
The Sala
The Sala
2 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tongsai Bay / Sala Samui

Stayed at Tongsai just over a year ago and found for the price (we stayed in a cottage then moved to a grand villa) it was very dated and in need of a refurb. and yes it is old fashioned. The furniture in our villa was very and quite uncomftable. Although the views and the beach are great, the standard was not what I expected of a 5*. I understand that some refurb has taken place, but felt that a lot of the general areas diningroom, bar etc were very worn and would take a lot longer than the short time it was closed to upgrade to the standard I would expect for reflection of the price paid.

The staff are indeed very good on the whole but after a very very disapointing and expensive New Years Eve dinner dance (we were not the only people to leave early) and various other activities I would never return to Tongsai and would not recommend unless the prices dropped to reflect the overall quality of the resort.

Other people do enjoy Tongsai and find it great for their honeymoon but having stayed in other places in Asia I dont feel this offers the luxury you can get at other resorts.