We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba diving in Koh Samui

Newcastle
3 posts
Save Topic
scuba diving in Koh Samui

Hi,

I'm thinking of going on a scub diving holiday (alone) this year to Koh Samui and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good scuba centre? Also since i'm going on holiday by myself this year, i want to meet as many people as possible and was recommended to stay in a hostel? Are there any good hostels on the island?

Thanks for your help everyone :O)

Quyeno

south australia...
Level Contributor
182 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba diving in Koh Samui

If you want to dive you need to go to Koh tao island

From there it is only a short distance to dive sites

Also they specilise in diving

If you stay on Koh samui it is a long trip to the sites

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
29 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba diving in Koh Samui

Go to the blog 'samui-weather.blogspot.com' or google Camille weather Koh Samui, he's a Dutch chap who has been in Samui for many years and is a fully qualified dive instructor based on Samui (you don't need to go to Koh Tao as the above poster said). Make sure you go to someone reputable like him and if he can't help (he travels around the region) he'll be able to point you in the direction of someone else.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
London
Level Contributor
280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba diving in Koh Samui

Take a look at Diversity, based at the amari Palm Reef.

Very well established with over 15 years experience on the island.

Speak with Richie Lopez if you can. He is the English owner and a thoroughly knowledgable, experienced guy.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scuba diving in Koh Samui

Richie emailed be back last night and was super helpful, so I agree! We plan to dive on Koh Samui - they have a boat that leaves 7:20am and gets back 3:30- it is all inclusive and he says while he has schedules for where they go to dive, if the conditions are better in another area, they mix it up.

Richie also says they have a speed boat so I assume that cuts down on getting out to the sites- so that is a plus!

I am planning on booking a trip for Sept 9th- there is a discount if you pay in advance- I can't wait!!!

Edited: 10:49 am, June 16, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
607 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scuba diving in Koh Samui

As Scott&Jen wrote, if scuba diving is your main objective, then go to Koh Tao as this is where the dive sites are. If however you want to go out for a beer in the evening, well life is in Koh Samui.

Diving from Koh Samui can be a bit pricey as boats have to go to Koh Tao (1 1/4 hour journey) although Sailrock (great dive site) is only at 50 minutes.

The key criteria when selecting a diving company in Samui is whether they own their boat or not. Many don't. So what they do is taking you on a chartered boat usually with divers from other operators. They have only little control on the safety and the procedures. And even is the operator you are diving with is good, the ones they sharing the boat with on that day might not be... And of course the boat can be packed as they will be looking for best profitability (don't forget you are spending 2 to 3 hours on that boat).

I am diving for now many years with http://www.100degreeseast.com/. Their boat is great, never packed, service is fabulous and food, good. Safety is their prime concern. And more than once I saw 100 Degrees staff going to help other dive "professionals" having issues.

I am not saying they are the only ones. But they are truly excellent and recognised as such on TA (#1 of all attractions in Koh Samui - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293918-d1573047-Reviews-100_Degrees_East_Dive_Team-Koh_Samui.html)

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
6. Re: scuba diving in Koh Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, June 13, 2012
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,756 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scuba diving in Koh Samui

Reported. Self Promotion.

8. Re: scuba diving in Koh Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, June 15, 2013