We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Glasgow
Level Contributor
688 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Can someone give me an idea of prices for car hire please?? Perhaps for one or two days just to explore the island.. Not keen on scooters!

Thanks guys :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

Rental vehicles range in price depending on what you're requirements are.

Anywhere from 800baht per day for a Suzuki jeep through to 1500baht per day for a brand new Honda city. Check out the insurance cover first to ensure it's adequate for your needs.

Depending on where you hire the vehicle from, you may be required to leave your passport with the hirer for the duration of the rental, as collateral.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
145 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

where are you staying? I have a contact in Choeng Mon who rents a new 4 -door Corolla for 900baht per day includes insurance. you need to leave your passport but is very safe. We have used many times and have had no trouble

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

I would never leave my passport with anybody. If you are dealing with a reputable company there will be no need. The only use of the passport is to hold you to ransom in the event of damage - i.e. pay or you don't get it back.

Edited: 3:28 am, April 20, 2011
Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

Hi There,

We hired an a/c jeep for 600THB - no problems at all - but we were required to leave our passport with them (or pay a huge deposit) We hired it across the road from Poppies. They keep the passport in case you have an accident. We had no dramas at all - checked the jeep over before we went & returned it with no dramas.

Canberra
Level Contributor
580 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire

Hertz are doing good deals at present, just cancelled a Budget booking and swapped to Hertz for 2 weeks in June, saved over 6,000Bt. 12,500Bt for 13 days on a Honda Civic (or similar), including taxes and insurance.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
688 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire

Hi guys sorry haven't replied been away working! That's great info, I think i will go and have a look at hertz as it's only a short rental I'm looking for and they are a reputable company! Thanks again for the help :-)

Evandale, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire

Do you have to pick up Hertz rental car from the airport or will they deliver to your hotel? We would like to hire a car for several days in early June.

Thanks for any information.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
688 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire

I'm also looking to pick up a car at our hotel or somewhere in samui, not from the airport, anyone know if this is possible??

Canberra
Level Contributor
580 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire

I've always collected/dropped off at the airport, but nowhere is far on Samui and I assume they would deliver. If you are coming by ferry you should be able to arrange to pick up a car in Nathon or at Donsak terminal.

We had a problem with noisy /worn brake pads one year and Budget were quick to deliver a replacement car to our Hotel.

I've always found Avis / Budget / Hertz Thai franchisees to respond quickly to emails, it's easy to check directly via contact details on the avis.co.th, budget.co.th and hertzthailand.com web sites.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire

I wouldn't hire a car for more than a couple of days as Koh Samui is so small you don't need a car so don't be pushed into hiring it for a week because of better rates.