We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October weather? -Andaman coast or Gulf of Thailand?

Hampshire
Level Contributor
27 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
October weather? -Andaman coast or Gulf of Thailand?

From what I have read so far the weather does not sound great for October!! However we are booked to visit Thailand for a couple of weeks. We had hoped to travel down to Krabi and Phi Phi around about 20th-28th October but am now wondering whether we should try one of the islands in the Gulf instead. We are fairly flexible and don't mind showers but do not want to have a week or more of non-stop rain!! Could anyone offer any advice? We are starting off in Bangkok and may well visit other areas first but had our hopes set on Phi Phi. Any offers on any other beach areas/islands which may be drier and not too 'hectic'? Have visited Koh Chang in May before and loved it? Could that be a drier option??!!

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October weather? -Andaman coast or Gulf of Thailand?

Hi

On past weather patterns October is a difficult month in the south as it`s the end of the wet season on the Andaman coast side & the beginning on the Gulf side so in my opinion you`re in the lap of the gods or Buddha.The weather in the south at the end of year just gone was unusual in that the rain continued on the Andaman side to about mid December & it didn`t start to get really bad on the Gulf side to late October so as I said it`s down to luck but if I had to pick I would say a better chance of good weather on the Andaman side & to make a better chance maybe leave your visit to that area as late in your trip as possible.

Good Luck

Jamie

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October weather? -Andaman coast or Gulf of Thailand?

You do take a chance of non-stop rain in the South in October.Ko Chang may be a better option but it depends year-to year (meaning is the rain late or not in beginning). wherever, it is a very wet time on the whole and I'd advise changing your plans if at all possible. Just seen that you are coming at the latter end of October though, so I'd take a chance on Koh Chang.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
27 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October weather? -Andaman coast or Gulf of Thailand?

Thanks for your replies although I now have two conflicting answers as to which side to go to!!! Any more takers to swing our decision??

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October weather? -Andaman coast or Gulf of Thailand?

No - I don't think I've said anything that different to the other poster. It is a dodgy time of year to come here and you have to be prepared for the worst i'm afraid or change the time of year you come if you can. Good luck!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
27 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October weather? -Andaman coast or Gulf of Thailand?

Thanks again for your response although I found the tone a bit short! I do understand what you are both saying but the first post had ended saying go for Andaman coast if in doubt, whereas you had replied try Koh Chang! As they are opposite sides of Thailand I was then confused! If you re-read them you might understand my confusion!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October weather? -Andaman coast or Gulf of Thailand?

Sinners mate,

Don't take offence! My replies are generally brief to questions that can only warrant a brief answer. Your question regarding the Thai climate has to be either brief or confusing considering the time of year you have chosen to come. There is no guarantee regards the weather here unless you plan to stay in The North when the rainy season has moved ever southwards. If this info is "short" then I apologise - only trying to help!

USA
Level Contributor
222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October weather? -Andaman coast or Gulf of Thailand?

Flip a coin. Global warming has changed the climate, world-wide.

We were in Ao Nang and Koh Lanta this past December, supposedly high season. It was cold and rainy.

There were, on the other hand, heavy rains and flooding on the Gulf of TL.