We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amari Palm Reef Resort - would you recommend it?

CA
Level Contributor
123 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Amari Palm Reef Resort - would you recommend it?

We are considering going to Koh Samui and have seen a reasonable offer at this hotel (Amari Palm Reef) - would you recommend it? What are the good points and things to beware of? Any hints and tips would be most welcome. Thank you

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Amari Palm Reef Resort - would you recommend it?

Sorry, I was meaning "Tongsai Bay" and "Santiburi" are NOT places to go with two small children."

CA
Level Contributor
123 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Amari Palm Reef Resort - would you recommend it?

Hi Nataly,

It was a very hard decision between the Sala Samui and the Amari. The the reasons that swung it was:

1) the Amari was a bit closer to town, so we had other restaurants to go to. We did no fancy getting a taxi every time we wanting to go to the main area. Although having visit the Sala Samui, there are a few restaurants on the beach, but these looks fairly basic.

2) the quote that we had for the Amari included free breakfast. A wow, what a breakfast.

3) my wife did not like the thought of outside showers.

The airport is about 10 mins from the Amari. There are about 1 plane every hour between 6am and 9pm. Which was not really a problem. The planes do not fly over the Amari, but you can definately hear them.

Sala was great, nice and relaxing, but would say that we would get bored with a stay of more then 3 days. There are lots of rocks in the sea, which appear when the sea goes out in the afternoon. Which makes the sea like a rock pool - although the sea was shallow at the Amari in the afternoon there was no rocks. When swimming at the Sala, we saw quite a large sea snake which scared the wife so much - I had to carry her to the beach.

All in all, they are both very nice places to stay - and I would of been please in any of the locations. I would class the Sala as a great 5 star hotel which all the luxuries and the Amari a great 4 star with more atmosphere and more things happening. Hope this helps

London
Level Contributor
273 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Amari Palm Reef Resort - would you recommend it?

Just to let you know that there will be renovation work at the Amari from mid April until the end of June. They are renovating the lobby area, gardens and updating some of the rooms. I've booked a 7 night stay in June and had an email from their reservation dept.

Hope this helps.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Amari Palm Reef Resort - would you recommend it?

Hi, Colin.

Thank you very much for your fast and detailed reply. We really appreciate it. Also thanks to Blubber for the warning re. re-construction work.

Likely we will go to the Sala Samui Resort.

Thanks again, Nataly

CA
Level Contributor
123 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Amari Palm Reef Resort - would you recommend it?

Thank you to everyone who wrote regarding the Amari Palm Reef Resort & Spa, we have just returned from our second trip there and would recommend it to anyone thinking of spending their holiday on Koh Samui. Few things you may find useful to know:

It is at the North end of Chaweng Beach, away from the busy downtown area but, within easy walking distance.

BEACH

Clean. Sandy bottom to seabed. Shallow water so good for young families (we went Feb/Mar in 2006 and the sea is definately deeper and you can easily swim in it; this year we went in Mar/Apr and it was more waist deep due to reef which protects beach and makes it more of a gentle cove)

FOOD

Breakfast - An excellent breakfast buffet offering wide range of foods catering for variety of palates e.g. Asian (yellow chicken curry and dim sum - yes for breakfast!); American (pancakes and maple syrup) European (cold meats and cheeses) and English (bacon and eggs) The staff also cook omlettes of your choice while you wait.

Dinner - two very good restaurants: Merante is the one where you have breakfast, it provides both Thai and international dishes and also does themed nights including: steak and chops, taste of thailand (beside the pool in Mar/Apr); and a beach party buffet - book this early to get a table right next to the sea. The other restaurant is Prego, an Italian restaurant, In addition to the pastas and manby meat courses they offer wood fired pizzas and my wife loved their tirimasu.

ROOM

On both visits we have chosen to stay in the deluxe rooms overlooking the pool in the Thai village. These have balconies or patios with wooden furniture, DVD players and have wood/silk decor.

SPA

Although more expensive than the street massage parlours or beach salas, my wife thought it was definately worth paying the extra. As well as the packages, there are 10% discounts for any additional treatments you book in your first week.

OTHER POINTS

Road - Those who have seen the website may notice that the hotel complex is on either side of the road, do not be concerned by this as at all times of day and night the crossing is staffed by two men who act as 'lollipop men' assisting you to cross safely.

Disabled Facilities - there are ramps all over the resort and I am sure that the hotel would be happy to advise on their policy with regards to disabled guests, I would recommend contacting them in advance - there is a flight of steps to the Merante restaurant.

Staff - without exception the staff at the Amari Palm Reef provide excellent service with a smile.

Overall it was a pleasure to return to this resort again in 2007.

16. Re: Amari Palm Reef Resort - would you recommend it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, August 29, 2009