We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose a hotel, please......

southampton
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help me choose a hotel, please......

After exhaustive research, I have narrowed my choices on Koh Samui down to Bandara, Amari Palm Reef, Anatara, Peace Resort, or Samui Honey Cottages. I know it is a tall order, but any opinions to help me choose would be much appreciated.

Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me choose a hotel, please......

I know this is not on your list, but have been to Ko Samui twice. Cannot beat Banana Fan Sea Resort. Great location with nice beach in front and great proximity to shops.

Thailand
Level Contributor
526 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me choose a hotel, please......

Its indeed a very strange selection as you go from 4+ star in Bophut to 2+ star in Cheng Moen and 4 star in Chaweng with a price difference of at least 100 USD.

If you let me know what you are after and your priorities it will be easier for you to decide.

southampton
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me choose a hotel, please......

I know my choices have a bit of an identity crisis but here is what I want - My husband and I are going and we would like a location that is mellow but still has restaurant/things to do options. I need a place that is clean above all else, but I don't need much else from a hotel. I like the concept of a less generic place, but don't want shabby accomodations. We are willing to go up to the top $$ end of this range, but places like Poppies (my first choice) are a little more than we wanted to spend. Thanks for the response!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me choose a hotel, please......

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g676072-d315…

Stayed here in December. Its worth comparing along with the better hotels in Chaweng

southampton
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me choose a hotel, please......

Thanks for the info - looks like it is a bit out of our price range though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me choose a hotel, please......

it is a bit on the £££ side for Samui, but worth the extra pennies!!!

Have a great time, Samui beats the south coast of England wherever you stay!

Guernsey
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me choose a hotel, please......

we've booked at the Bophut resort and spa and it looks gorgeous and not too expensive. check it out

ellie

THAILAND
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me choose a hotel, please......

If you like Poppies but it's a little too pricy. Why don't you try Buri Rasa Village. I always recommend people who prefer boutique hotel to go either Poppies or Buri Rasa Village. Great beach location, very convenient for shopping/night life. Please check it out at www.burirasa.com. I think it's a good alternative.

hong Kong
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me choose a hotel, please......

I have stayed in probably 10 different hotels in Samui while I was building a villa there. I would recommend the Bandara as the best under £100 option, and then choose the Santiburi as the best top priced hotel. Avoid at all costs the Royal Samui Peninsula which is a building site but it must be said that the average standard 4* is extremely good in comparison with other beach resorts. Stick to Bo Phut, Choeng Mon or Chaweng and you will generally find a great choice.

southampton
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me choose a hotel, please......

Thanks for all the great info. One more question - some of the reviews say that the beach at Bophut is not all that great and one said the water was dirty!! Please tell me they are wrong.........