We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Royal Meridien - any good for a honeymoon

UK
3 posts
Save Topic
Le Royal Meridien - any good for a honeymoon

Hi guys, I booked 8 nights at the royal meridien at the end of feb for my honeymoon but after reading recent reviews am quite concerned about the quality of hotel and level of service. Has anyone been recently and should i consider paying a cancellation fee and rebooking elsewhere. Also, as its my honeymoon we would appreciate the peace and quiet, but we also want to explore, how much is a taxi ride to chaweng or any clubs/bars that may be closer and are taxis available late at night after clubs close etc... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
471 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Royal Meridien - any good for a honeymoon

Hi Fatpanda

We stayed at the Le Meridien about 18 Months ago and loved it. It is on the quiet side of the island but we didn't mind this as we are not fans of Chaweng at all.

The hotel runs a shuttle to Chaweng and Nathon every day so you can easily get out and about if you wish. We found Bophut Fishermans Village a better option for a night out as it is a little more laid back. Plenty of cabs available around the island, just make sure you agree a price before you get in.

The hotel is on beautiful grounds and the villa we stayed in was very well equipped with beautiful views over the ocean. The beach is great for sunbaking but not so good for swimming due to the coral.

You can get out of the hotel fairly easily for meals, would recommend Big John Seafood and Five Islands for dinner, they will pick you up and drive you back to the hotel free of charge, for lunch Starry Seafood on the beachfront road in Nathon is very good.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Robert

Surrey UK.
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Royal Meridien - any good for a honeymoon

Agree with all of the above.

There are more places opening up on that side, but Big John's remains the best, and at a reasonable price.

Five Islands is very nice and romantic if you get a table on the beach, bit pricey for the island.

If you want to go really native, there's a roadside noodle place just before the elephant gate. Don't let the look of the place put you off. Only Thais (and us) eat there and the food is fabulous at 35p a dish.

UK
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Royal Meridien - any good for a honeymoon

Thanks guys, thats great, really appreciate your input. Has put my mind at ease and now I cant wait to get there.

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Royal Meridien - any good for a honeymoon

Hi fat panda

We just returned from this resort last week. Whilst it was nice, i felt it was lacking in atmosphere. We also stayed at the Bophut Resort and Spa which we felt was far superior (we were also on our honeymoon and had a much better location.

The return shuttle bus to chaweng costs 400 bahts per person or about £6.

The shuttle bus is free to Nathon.

Le Meridien charge $45 for an airport transfer, which i felt was extortionate compared to the taxi price of 600 baht (£9).

If you turn left at the security hut and walk down the hill to the village, you will see a little shop about 200 metres on the right which has a sign up for a taxi service. We arranged for a taxi through them. They originally wanted 800 baht to take us to the airport, but we negotiated this down to 600.

Just before the shop is a little complex of bungalows which had a german name, something like wiesenthal. They had a little restaurant on the beach which was fine for breakfast and lunch and much cheaper than the hotel.

Le Meridien is undoubtedly a nice hotel and I don't think it deserved all of the bad reviews that it has received recently. For us it just could not compete with the Bophut Resort in terms of room quality, location, beach and staff friendlyness. Given the option again, I would incur the cancellation charge.

I have lots of photes of both hotels if you want to give me your email address.

UK
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Royal Meridien - any good for a honeymoon

Hi newlywed, thanks for the info. I have booked the honeymoon through an agent and it includes private transfers, by whom i dont know yet. I also enquired about the cancellation fee and its quite extortionate so we will have to grin and bear it. Does the shuttle to chaweng run late at night enabling us to go to a few clubs or are they pretty strict with the timetable. I guess the taxi is a good option, especially as its local. Pics would be fantastic as all the other pictures i have seen so far seem to be only of the famous pool and i guess the hotel only show you what they want you to see. my mail address is B9gsy@hotmail.com

thanks again for your help.