We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

spain
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

Has anyone recently stayed here - any info or tips would be much appreciated as this is our first time in Samui - normally stay at Kata. We also like the look of Lamai Wanta - help please ! ! !

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

Bill is very nice.Wanta gets rave reviews from contributors on this forum too.It's a toss-up I reckon. Both are popular, so, if you are going between Dec-March or august, I'd book ahead at either.

UK
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

For me Lamai Wanta is without exception the best value accommodation that you will find on Samui.

I have given details elsewhere on this forum as regards my personal impression of the rooms etc but I think Frommer's Guide sum up the resort very nicely in the following text:-

"On a fine stretch of beach on the north end of Lamai, the newly-built Lamai Wanta is a small campus of clean-lined, ultra-contemporary oceanside cottages and a cluster of rooms in a two-story hotel block. There is little in the way of service here and no pool yet (still building), but the rooms are very tidy with terra-cotta tile, high ceiling, dark wooden trim and balconies: pointedly Spartan like an art gallery or overpriced sushi bar. There's nothing like it in Lamai at this price"

Please note that the pool has been finished for over a year now.It's not a huge pool but size wise it is more than adequate and looks over the best part of Lamai beach.Getting a sunbed at any time has never been a problem on my 3 visits and the beach in front is also very quiet(at least in the months of December,January,April and June).

As well as 2 bathroom towels you will also be supplied with 2 large pool towels for your use daily.

I do not believe the Restaurant has been completed yet..it has been a working "art" in progress for a while now and was supposed to be finished in December 2005 but true to form and "Thailand style" has not yet been finished ....I'm sure it will be worth the wait when it is!

In the mean time the "silver lining" of this is that you are more than welcome to bring in your own cheap drinks and snacks from the supermarkets and store in your fridge...it all makes for a very cheap holiday indeed and of course there is no shortage of good restaurants in the immediate area for daytime and evening dining.

Over all Lamai Wanta is classily under stated,it is certainly under priced but in no way should one under rate it!.

Bill Resort looks very nice but I think you will find it is quite a bit more expensive.

Hope some of this helps

Regards,

Paul

Ps

One last thing...hopefully you won't need a doctor in the middle of the night but if you do look no further than knocking the owner up who lives "on site" and is a qualified GP!

UK
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

Just noticed your post Gavin...my post took about 1 hour to complete in between working on nightshift and then on sending I noticed you had "nipped" in.

Well theres a first...a gashead becomes a local expert!...now where might there be a need right now for one of those a little closer to home???

Cheers

Paul

spain
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

Hi Paul, thank you so much for the info. It has been a great help to us as we had to make a decision immediately so as to book our room and flights - thank you for taking the time to give so much valuable info. Karen & Gary. xxx Liverpool (living in Ibiza) xxxxxx

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

Paolo. No long time no talk! Yes, ' local expert' status yet still can't find my back to my bungalow at 4.00 in the morning sometimes. Missus is flying to Tokyo right now so it could be said there is 'a nip in the air'. Know what you mean about the closer to home bit. looking forward to our 'appointment' on Dec 3rd.

UK
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

Your very welcome Karen and Gary.If you do decide on the Lamai Wanta for the price I would opt for one of the bungalows...the rooms are just fine and great value but for a little extra the Bungalows arguably present even better value.You can book by email...see www.lamaiwanta.com.

Gavin,

You have certainly put a new meaning to the expression "nip in the air" :)

Ah... the missing bungalow syndrome .I know the feeling only too well. It is nice to know that I am not crazy after all and I am indeed not alone in experiencing this strange penomena.

It really does seem that the forces of the night are at work on Samui and some sort of dark conspiracy hangs in the island air. ...you are obviously more than familiar with the senario..off you go for a short and quiet drink only to return some 8-10 hours later(creepy...where did those "missing hours" go?) to find that your bungalow has vanished into thin air...in fact sometimes that the whole resort has gone missing and been replaced by another one. If you are lucky you eventually find your resort or bungalow cunningly concealed a few hundred yards up the road but even stranger than this is the fact that when you wake up you realise that the phantom bungalow movers of the night have moved the resort,your bungalow with you in it,the security staff and the complete array of resident cats and dogs right back to where it was in the first place without disturbing you or any other poor soul who just like you may also have gone out for a swift half.

And this is just one of the many strange occurrences that I think potential visitors to Samui should be aware of...what say you that we start up a "Samui files" ?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

Paul,

Yes, the world need to be told about this. Possibly the strangest example of this phenemonon was when I once returned back from that 'swift half',(funny how it takes 8-10 hours isn't it) and found that the whole resort had been stolen, coconut palms and all,

only to be have been replaced with an exact replica of what had stood before!

Great win at Grimsby, West Ham won too - I am a very happy 'local expert' this morning.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

oops... just realised you have basically said the same...but these experiences are indeed mysterious and disturbing. Perhaps something to do with the 'mushrooms' hidden in with the fried tomatoes at the morning buffet breakfast?

UK
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

Yes a great win at Grimsby...I guess in the light of recent year’s performance's this would constitute a cup run for the gas!

Will you be able to find the time to make it back for the final at the new Wembley Stadium 2006? . I think we would have made it earlier but after playing at the Memorial Stadium, week in and week out, understandably the old Wembley wouldn't have been any incentive or held out any excitement for the boys!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Bill Resort, Lamai Beach

Paul,

Can report that so far, Samui is having pretty good weather this month.Some rain but a lot of sun! If you remember, could you bring a bag of pear drops with you? You know, the little sugar coated red and yellow ones.I always ask friends to bring them and they usually forget! I really am hopelessly addicted to them and usually ration myself to three or four a day. It's worth a pint of Calsberg in The bully!! On that note, I cracked yesterday and had a few snorts! Still, two months done again!