We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter Rental

Sutherland Shire...
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Scooter Rental

Is it safe to hire a scooter and ride around island or are taking life into your own hands

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter Rental

Motorcycle accidents are the leading cause of death in Thailand, and we have the highest m/c accident rate in SE Asia. Most Thai have scars on their legs from m/c accidents. If you decide to hire, you'll need an International Drivers Permit valid for motorcycles, and check that your travel insurance will still be valid - many exclude motorcycle accidents.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter Rental

The cheapest way to get around,but the hospitals are full of victims.I was in a bad accident,but i still rent them.I would suggest travel insurance,i didn't have any unfortunately.Wasn't my fault,guy turned in front of me,he didn't have to pay for anything,he just said he didn't have any money.ambulance,xray's and stiches cost me 3000baht. just don't trust anybody and keep the speed down,wear your helmet,or you will get a ticket.carry a license with you.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter Rental

dragonc: i have rented from at least 15 places,no-one ever asked for international DL>,even though i have one. I was there for 3 months all over thailand.But if they confiscate your drivers license,at least you have another one till you get yours back.I rented cars too,no-one asked

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter Rental

dannyboy666 - Many renters don't care, but the law is clear. If you get into trouble it will be expensive and time consuming. Its just waiting to happen.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter Rental

There have been some good responses to your post. I'd like to say this WEAR A HELMET ALL THE TIME. Even if you are going to the store down the road.

1.5 people die on the roads each week in Koh Samui from scooter and motor cycle accidents. 6 people a month on average. The Island is 54km around. The issue is there are way too many fast drivers and they ALL overtake in the most insane places, around blind corners. If you are on a scooter and someone is overtaking on coming, they won't move, it will be up to you to move into the emergency lane.

I hire and ride scooters every time I'm in Thailand which is 6 times a year and I haven't had any issues, however, like others have said, if you crash, you pay.

99% of places take and keep your Passport, that I really hate so I sometime rent through a Resort I stay in and don't have to do that BUT be prepared to hand over your Passport. Rental is cheap. I usually pay 150-200 Baht a day. Fuel is everywhere along the road side for 30-50 a bottle, 2 and half bottles fills the tank.

All i can say is be safe, look, look and indicate, set up your mirrors and look out for other tourists going way too fast on their scooters. If you are sensible you will be ok. Good luck.

Moremi Game...
Level Contributor
659 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooter Rental

All i can add is that if you don't ride a motorcycle or scooter at home , don't hire one on the islands , it's no place to learn. In 2 visits to Phangan in the last 3 months , a total of 5 accidents , some with broken bones and all from the the accomodation i was in , so you can imagine the numbers island wide. I heard one girl call out to her boyfirend when she pulled away wobbling like crazy ..."what side of the road do they drive on?" ..... just stupid.

7. Re: Scooter Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, January 20, 2010