We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach area in Thailand to stay at

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Best beach area in Thailand to stay at

Help ! I'm looking for a nice beach to stay at in Thailand, but there's just so many areas to stay at I'm confused ... I'm hoping for something not too touristy, and I was hoping that I might be able to stay in a bungalow not too far from the water.

Thanks in advance !

Tours Koh Samui
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Lamai Viewpoint
Lookouts, Sightseeing Tours, Rides & Activities, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach area in Thailand to stay at

Try Koh Ngai off Trang. It is not the least touristy, just a few small resorts, nice beach esp at the Fanatsy Resort end, the other end of the beach was more rocky.Little else to do but walk, eat, drink, snorkell, boat trips, swim and enjoy that lovely view.. A great place for say 5 days to get away from it all. Most of the little resorts have bungalows right on the beach for a longer stay it might be too quiet but super for a few days. Maybe try there and then move on to somewhere else. Railay maybe although most of the resorts there are near the water it was mainly the restaurants that were right on the beach. We travelled around Thailand for six weeks earlier this year and I think Koh Ngai/Hai and Railay were my two favourite spots. Did not get up North so I don't know about areas up there.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach area in Thailand to stay at

What time of year? From November to May down south ( Trang is nice area ) is a good idea but from May to october the dry weather is around the Gulf, lots of beaches along the Sunrise Coast like Chumphon, Bang Saphan, Pranburi etc, Koh talu off Bang Saphan during that time is nice, small bunngalows, some snorkeling, beach, not much else though but about 10 minutes from the shore and close to bus and rail line, using the rail line to beach hop along the coast is easy and fun ( though buses quicker ).

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach area in Thailand to stay at

Khao Lak! Pak Weep Beach - perhaps the Similana - Wooden bungalows overlooking the sea - great prices - some of the best beachcombing in Thailand.

Check here for photos:

http://khaolaklovers.com/similana.htm

Though the photos don't really do it justice. Stayed there about five weeks ago - found lots of shells bigger than my hands. My wife and I were, most of the time, the only people on the beach.

Two minute walk (at most) to the water - a real Thai "resort" - great restaurant - some distance from most anything else though. But . . . I liked that.

UK
Level Contributor
943 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach area in Thailand to stay at

hi ted kharma - how do you get to khao lak?

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach area in Thailand to stay at

Khao Lak is a mellow one hour drive north of the Phuket airport. Considering Patong/Kata/Karon are 40-45 minutes south - Khao Lak is almost as close as the tourist areas of Phuket.

Along the way is Natai Beach - if you get a chance take this drive: khaolaklovers.com/hot-springs-drive.htm

Beautiful and derserted beaches!

Essex
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach area in Thailand to stay at

hi

i have just booked up to stay at similana in December and was just wondering how remote it is? with motorcycle rental is it easy to get around to nearby restaurants and are there long boats on the beach here to take us to nearby islands? You said you stayed here as well - what type of room did you take?

thanks