We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

p.s. help wanted eating veggie...

england
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
p.s. help wanted eating veggie...

i posted a question on the general thai forum site a few days back, but no - one replied. i wasnt surprised, as there doesnt seem to be many like myself about.

i wanted help seeking out authentic thai food that is vegetarian. since i have heard that thai currys are made with fish paste, i shall be avoiding that. but are there any restaurants (choeng mon/chaweng) (or just thai food in general) that provide recipes that genually do not contain meat/fish? i would hate to go all that way & then not even eat the local food (though i may shift some weight in the process!!).

if anyone can help... thanks!!!!!!!!

england
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: p.s. help wanted eating veggie...

does the major lack of replies to this q mean that i will come home several stone thinner?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: p.s. help wanted eating veggie...

My guess is that most people have no idea what to say - I didn't.

Fish sauce is a regular ingredient in Thailand - not much you can do about it. My experience with asking Thai restaurants to vary from their standard recipes - uh, is not good. Even if they understand what you are asking for.

The only way you can really satisfy your demands would be to stay at a 5-star resort where the chef will accommodate your demands. It's pretty much not going to happen anywhere else.

I certainly understand special dietary needs - having had a health problem or two myself, in the past. But, I always realized that I would need to take care of it myself (sometimes eating only yogurt or liquids on great vacation!). Still enjoyed the vacations mind you!

Good luck!

england
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: p.s. help wanted eating veggie...

well thanks for the reply at least, oh dear, look like i really am going to starve...

i really hope that this isnt going to spoil my holiday.. i'll just have to eat international cuisine, much to my disappointment though, as id love to try the thai food (instead of english versions that are veggie but im sue dont taste the same!!!).

i find a website though very recently that said there was a veg restaurant in lamai - but peoples definitions of vegetarian differs greatly. i hope this restaurant though can provide me with something thai even if i only go once - as im staying on choeng mon & lamai is too far more than once or twice???

thanks anyways.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: p.s. help wanted eating veggie...

Hi TJwolves. My boyfriend goes to a spa on the island and it has a veggie restaurant. Not too sure of the location but if you go to www.spasamui.com you can see the menu and an article on the place. The boyf loved the place. Hopes this helps.

england
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: p.s. help wanted eating veggie...

ooh thank you so much!!

i'll get straight on to that website... cheers.