We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elephants

england
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
elephants

has anyone else got any opinions on the elephant trekking?

as the below post states the animals are badly treated, in which case i would not dream of paying money to the creeps that wont be spending the money on these poor creatures.

however, i had previously been looking forward to doing this trip when i go to samui in feb, has anyone else seen this ill treatment or was the below post a one off????????????

pls give me more info.

Wimbledon
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: elephants

i didnt mention in my post that it was namuang safari park where we encountered a nasty experience.

our elephant was clearly overworked, it had just finished one trek and it was pulled over to take us immediately.

during the trek it ate a coconut and blew some on us which we found funny...the guide who was siting on its head plunged a spike in behind its ear so hard that it began to bleed moments after..we were appaled and demanded a refund which we didnt get.ive since spoken to other people and am told its pretty much the norm for thai culture.

please dont put money in these morons pockets!

scotland,edinburgh
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: elephants

I am just back from Samui and did the same trip at the same location and my wife and I had a great time on the elephant and did not see any getting mistreated at any time,our guide was really funny and his patter was brilliant.I would reccomend going.

Cheers

Andy

Denmark
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: elephants

Hey TJwolves

To say the Elephant ara badly treated is maby a little bit to hard, but i must admit that i`ll never try trekking in Samui again. My Elephant had some promlem with the leg,but still they let it work from 9-17. I have tryed trekking in Thailand before, and i will try again, but never at Samui.

Michael

england
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: elephants

thanks for your replies - i think i'll be giving this a miss then. being a strict veggie, there is no way i could stand to see this happening. the tour operators (espesh british ones) should not be recommending this trip if this behaviour goes on.