We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acceptable Dress

Nevada City...
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Acceptable Dress

Should women avoid sleeveless clothes in general and are shorts exceptable anywhere? Also do women need to have entire leg covered in temples and do you go in barefoot?

Nevada City...
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acceptable Dress

P.S. I read somewhere that only young woman wear bright colors. Is this true and if so does that apply to tourist as well?

Nevada City...
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acceptable Dress

P.S. I read somewhere that only young woman wear bright colors. Is this true and if so does that apply to tourist as well?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acceptable Dress

Hi there with the temperatures in koh samui you certainly dont want to be wearing alot of clothes. I was there last year and we are going back in two weeks time. All I wear is shorts, skirts and singlet tops/tube tops, sarongs and light clothing, I certainly didnt have a problem with the dress standards and colour of the clothing I wore?

We went to a temple and yes you do need to cover your arms and legs out of respect, a long sarong is fine though and yes shoes I think are a must but then again I was wearing them anyway

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acceptable Dress

You cannot go 'inside' a temple per se in Thailand unless you are of the inner group. It may seem as if you are inside, but, yes, wear long sleeves and discard the shorts, (I don't mean that literally!).

The temple you go to is often just the outside of the compound itself, I live next to such a place in Bangkok. The more respectfully you dress, and, a donation of sorts, like a 'monks basket',usually sold outside somewhere containing soap,shampoo, tinned tuna,candles,condensed milk, is always much appreciated, and will allow you the prospect of a more fullfilling experience.

Nevada City...
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acceptable Dress

Since you live in Thailand maybe you can tell me more about what is respectful to wear while touring. The answers on this site are usually that anything is acceptable in the beach areas. Is this true and what should one wear if on a trek away from the cities?

Thank you