We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats clothes shopping like in koh samui?!!!!!!!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
whats clothes shopping like in koh samui?!!!!!!!

hiya

just wondering what clothes shopping is like here?should i take a full suitcase or buy stuff out there?

thankyou!!!!!!!!

Keerbergen, Belgium
Level Contributor
239 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whats clothes shopping like in koh samui?!!!!!!!

Hi, it depends ... if you are going to BKK, then I wouldn't buy stuff in Samui. Samui is much more expensive!

What can you expect : T-shirts, tops, shoes, slippers, handbags, sunglasses, silk scarves, dresses, shorts, ... lots of counterfeit stuff!

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whats clothes shopping like in koh samui?!!!!!!!

Cheap bargain things with questionable quality - in market stalls in Chaweng. From all the boutique shops in Chaweng only two are worth visiting - one is called "Try Out", nearly opposite Buri Rasa hotel in south Chaweng. Interesting unusual stuff. Another one is Chandra but this one is expensive. All the rest shops in Chaweng are total rip off.

Fisherman Vilage has 3 good shops - Siddartha, The House and Starfish & Coffee.They all source their products all over Asia so you cannot find it in Bangkok.

Nathon market stalls have the cheapest prices but sell very simple things.

West Mids, UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whats clothes shopping like in koh samui?!!!!!!!

I'd agree, shopping fairly dissapointing in Koh Samui and definetely more expensive than Bangkok. Most of what we saw were 'branded' t shirts!

If you want a world of shopping go to Chatuchak market in Bangkok its massive!!

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whats clothes shopping like in koh samui?!!!!!!!

Pratnum Market is the place to shop for cheap clothing in Bangkok,but you don't say whether or not you are going to Bangkok.

From your post I think you meant is it worth bringing beach wear etc. or is cheap to buy locally rather than pack.If so then the answer is yes.Plenty of stuff cheap enough to discard at the end of your holiday.

Male
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: whats clothes shopping like in koh samui?!!!!!!!

Yeah bangkok is the best place to get cheap stuff depending on your taste and budget from designer wear to street side stuff - cheaper in bangkok but if you aint got time there and Samui is the only alternative then there are loads of places in Chaweng where you can get the clothes as well a little more dear then Bangkok but on the whole with so much competition around with suppliers you can get decent bargains as well. Best is get on the streets and look around. A person like me finds sometimes interesting then I dont mind paying a little more to save time and effort.

6. Re: whats clothes shopping like in koh samui?!!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, October 03, 2009