We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cant wait!

karratha western...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cant wait!

3 days to go for 9 days in Thailand. 2 nights at BKK and 2 in the Chaweng Regent followed by 5 at the Sandalwood villas.

One thing that I have found strange is that I have been looking at the live webcams on sawadee.com for the last 2 weeks (trying to get my mind off work) and the streets look absolutely dead until dark.

The cam at tropical murphys (and Lamai) have got no people on the streets all day with just a few at night, the street stalls are also closed.

I have been to Bali on numurous occasions and when I hit the streets of Tuban early in the morning it is busy as! Is it comparable to bali this time of the year?

Is this the norm?...I am not complaining thats for sure!

Yee Haa!

Cheers

Jim

Stockport, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cant wait!

Hi Jim

I've been to Koh Samui twice, last time being May 06. I stayed in Chaweng and the streets are normally quiet during the day which i think may be due to it being very hot and humid so most people are on the beach or sunbathing by the pool. The shops & restaurants are open during the day and until around midnight from what i can remember. They do get much busier at night with it being cooler so better for walking around.

There are locals selling all kinds of things on the beach including snacks so u don't really need to move from your sunbed, although they are a little more expensive than the shops and can also be a bit annoying when you're not wanting to buy anything so i found sunbathing by the pool much better.

Let me know if i can help further

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cant wait!

June is one of the lowest seasons here. Hardly any tourists. But weather is good.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
19 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cant wait!

Jim,

Was in Lamai two weeks ago and would suggest that the "quietness" was attributed to the low season (some of the bar owners reckoned that it was the slowest that they had experienced) and also to the fact that most people that we came across were more intersted in making the most of the fantastic weather than traipsing around the shops.

The heat tends to make the pool / beach much more attractive a proposition during the day. Once you got away from the sea breeze, the temperatures really ramped up.

Shopping in the evening was a much more pleasant / interesting expereince.

Cheers

Whetu

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cant wait!

Good time to go! Not for local businesses though. 40 per cent drop reported in May for Samui. Tourism is experiencing a drop hereThailand) for sure.

And do not believe the statistics as these include foreigners living here doing a number of visa runs per year which means they stay minutes in Cambodia or a night in laos and return as "new tourist arrivals'.

5. Re: Cant wait!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, October 02, 2009