We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Samui like compared with 8 years ago?

England
Level Contributor
256 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What is Samui like compared with 8 years ago?

Visited Samui several years ago (chaweng) and loved it - the beach, the restaurants, the night life (green mango etc.) really friendly and laid back.

Thinking of going back next year but can't gauge whether it is still as good. Reviews seem to be mixed - is Chaweng full of drunken yobs? is everyone trying to rip you off? are the beaches filthy (to be honest people were saying this last time I went and they weren't)

Also are the summer months to hot for a five year old?

cheers

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What is Samui like compared with 8 years ago?

That`s fair enough Den.

I don`t know that i`d ever take my wife to Pattaya & i`m in the same boat as you my leash wouldn`t quite reach Pattaya LOL.

I`m of the opinion with Pattaya, even being very open minded I can only stomach so much of what you see.

All the best

Jamie

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What is Samui like compared with 8 years ago?

Must hate me then Den! Youv'e summed me up perfectly!

Though I don't live in Pattaya.

samui
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: What is Samui like compared with 8 years ago?

Quite some nonsens about Pattaya; leach or not or take your wife.... Some more opinions about Samui 8 years ago??

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What is Samui like compared with 8 years ago?

Sorry concrete mixer a thousands pardons for getting off topic

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What is Samui like compared with 8 years ago?

I think I may have said it a bit wrong?

I didnt mean i hated Samui just Chewang!

We still had a good time there but I think Chewang would have for shure changed for the worst in the last 8 years if not it wouldnt have been much cop then!

Bangkokgas I said I love to hate,I spend most of my time with expats when in Pattayha,sad life for some though,sitting at round stone tables outside small stores cos the drink is a few bht less!

At least I can get "Pie&Mash" in Pattayha which I cant get in Oz.

den

samui
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: What is Samui like compared with 8 years ago?

Thanks guys - looking into answers about "Samui 8 years ago and now?" and getting Pattaya ta;ks was a little bit frustrating. Samui of now might be a success for new target markets which did not have the chance to visit Samui 8 years ago. Development took over - and according to my opinion - it is taking the toll - paradise lost!

Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: What is Samui like compared with 8 years ago?

I came almost exactly 8 years ago, NY 2000 and just visited Samui. I won't be coming back. I didn't meet a beach I thought was anything special (and believe me, we tried) and unless you have US$1000 a night (or more) to spend to get an amazing view (Four Seasons, Evason) you could be anywhere. I think Samui attracts for the most part a lower class of punter and Chaweng is a dump. I'm sure that for the expats who live in Samui they know exactly where to go, where to hang out etc but for regular tourists it's just so hit and miss.

I absolutely love the people (the Thais) and love the food but I'll be sticking to Northern Thailand from now on.

Male
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: What is Samui like compared with 8 years ago?

Past - quieter, laid back, a few rasta bars on chaweng beach, black moon parties on the beach, fewer hotels restaurants and spa, friendly people, lesser bars, fewer streetside shop selling cheap stuff.

Present - Busy busy busy at times, spa and sleek restaurants on th ebeaches, blkack moon party at the lakeside, all want to make a buck with restaurant and bars, friendly people still around, streets packed with vendors some of whom can afford to buy a couple of top end cars now for themselves, Tesco, Starbucks, Subway and many brands, chances of getting ripped of at some street side shops.

Positive side - still fun place to be provided you know the right places to go and spend your money sensibily and enjoy the natural beauty away from Chaweng, Lamai.

Go go go go !!!!!

19. Re: What is Samui like compared with 8 years ago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, October 01, 2009