We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos in thailand!

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos in thailand!

Hi All

This may seem a daft question but is there a Mosquito Season? you know a time of the year when there are more of them or they bite more or something like that.

Im going to Bangkok and Koh Samui?

Ta

Sarah xxx

London, United...
Level Contributor
366 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mosquitos in thailand!

pre dosing on anti histamine will help,

you shouldnt get as much swelling or infection but the buggers will still bite.

i usually get it worst around my lower legs, my wife reckons it is because my feet smell!

im starting to believe her,

lee.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
560 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mosquitos in thailand!

For info, for anyone who might not know. If using a DEET based repellent, they come in strengths ranging from 20% up to 100%).

I tend to use Boots Extra Strength 0r Jungle Formula Extra Strength (Both contain 50% DEET) and have had no real problems on my three visits to Thailand.

The 100% sounds a bit extreme imho, but for those who want to take no chances a quick google search should highlight stockists.

UK
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mosquitos in thailand!

Where I live (south samui)the mozzies are at their worst around sunset.The later it gets the better-hardly see one of the little blighters by 9pm. Remember also to give your room a good spray with mozzie kiler before you goe out for the evening - this should avoid any problems with things that go bump in the night!

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mosquitos in thailand!

Well thanks all for yur advice.

Ive also posted on other sites and if i put all advice together heres what i need to do:

1. Put a plug in and spray the room with repellant before i go out.

2. Where long sleeves and trouser legs.

3. Put 100% DEET on the edges of my clothes and 50% DEET on my body

4. use avon skin so softly as well-before or after the DEET who knows

5. Eat marmite and garlic every day

6. wear repellant bands on my wrists and ankles

7. take b vitamins, antihistamins and garlic tabs every day

Ha haaa ha ha its actually funny if you read all that. wont I have an awful time!

xx

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mosquitos in thailand!

8. Bring a small child with very white skin with you.

They make excellent bait thus deflecting the attention of the mozzies.Thai women also love little white children so they are useful when bargaining in shops.

Marmite and B vits.are the same thing.It is actually B1 which is supposed to repel mosquitoes and for many years in Sri Lanka I thought it worked a treat.Then I came here and realised I had been lucky in the past.Now I keep a pet lizard on my shoulder at all times.Makes a mess of your shirt but some sacrifices have to be made!

Kent
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Mosquitos in thailand!

Hi

It's sods law that they prefer some people to others. I have just returned and have 10 bites and the rest of family have nothing! Try some prevention a couple of months before you go! Vitanin B1- 3 months prior

Marmite every day- weeks prior and during

Garlic capsules - I did this for 3 weeks prior but reckon needed longer

I used inside of banana skin when bitten, this is a good quick fix as there are lots of banans about!

And of course good old tooth paste!

Cheers

Sx

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
48 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Mosquitos in thailand!

In Thailand in March and was bitten alive even though i was wearing spray. I swear that the Mossies in Thailand are that big they could carry a man on their backs!! Mine were that bad i had to go the international hospital where the doctor had to burst the blisters and apply antiseptic before bandaging them - ouch - He also gave me antibiotics in case of infection. So my advice is apply the strongest spray that you can buy every time you go our but especially at night. If you are unlucky enough to get bitten really badly the hospitals in Thailand are better than England and not too expensive my treatment cost me 50 pounds. Good luck.

18. Re: Mosquitos in thailand!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 29, 2009