We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on which island to cut short?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
advice on which island to cut short?

Hi all,

I'm undecided on which island to cut off by one night in June.

We have to cut it by one day as our airfares are hundreds cheaper to leave a day later than we proposed.

This is the plan -

6 days Koh Samui

4 days Phi Phi Island

8 days Phuket

Bangkok 4 days (will keep Bangkok)

Wish we were going for longer :-(

What place would you choose to cut by a night?

Cheers,

Izzy

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on which island to cut short?

You can cut any of the islands - Phi-Phi is very beautiful but you can see them in 2 days as they are very small islands, Phuket is big but cutting 1 day short wouldn't make any difference, same for Samui. Also depends where you stay, if it a beautiful resort, maybe you want to be there for longer, if it simple bungalo, you can stay 1 day less...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on which island to cut short?

Hi Elina,

Thanks for your reply.

In Samui we are looking at staying at Samui Paradise Chaweng, in a Grand Seaside Villa. Do you know how far of a walk it is to the main strip of shops/restaurants?

In Samui we don't plan to do a whole lot of acitivties,

Day trip to Koh Phangan/Koh Tao

Then just shop, bars, & relax, hire a scooter and check out the island

In Phi Phi we are staying at PP Island Cabana Hotel

Phuket we are doing it cheaper than all of the above and staying at Salathai Resort in Patong..

Really confused,

Izzy

koh samui
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on which island to cut short?

no reason to be confused and nothing to get all worked up over. you are going to be in thailand, on vacation, you might as well throw a dart to choose because it really won't matter.

your place in chaweng is right on the beach road so you can walk to everything that people come to chaweng for.

if i had to take one night off of your itinerary it would be phuket but probably only because you have 8 there already.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on which island to cut short?

I say Phi- Phi even 2 days is more than enough . Don't get me wrong, Phi Phi is beautiful!Ina

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on which island to cut short?

Phuket, Phi Phi, Samui... your pretty much doing the same thing for 18 days. Why don't you add some variety and throw in a bit of real culture like visit Chiang Mai or Rai, stay at the raft houses near Kanchanaburi or visit the most pristine natioanl park in Asia Khao Sok and stay in the tree houses or floating rafts. Now thats a holiday.

Coffs

Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on which island to cut short?

Six days on Koh Samui is a pretty long time. You might want to consider a couple of nights on Koh Tao. The Lomprayah Catamaran will take about 1 hour and 45 minutes one way. If you're wondering what to do with the money you are saving on airfare book a villa at Charm Churee on Koh Tao. They have a private beach in a cove that's great for snorkeling. It's a short walk to the closest town. Sorry I didn't really answer your question. Have a great trip!

Uk
Level Contributor
331 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on which island to cut short?

Hi Izzy, I've not been to Phuket, but I have been to the other places, and if it was me, I would cut a day from Koh Samui. Yes, you can "see" Phi Phi in 2 days, but I would spend a bit longer relaxing there, just my opinion for what it's worth! I do agree with the last poster though in that they are all beachy places, Chiang Mai is amazing with great food and shopping, so if it were me, I wouold probably cut a few days from Phuket too and go to Chiang Mai!