We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Samui to Bangkok

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Samui to Bangkok

I am thinking of going from Samui to Bangkok bu ferry. My question is how long does it take and the cost please. Thanks

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Samui to Bangkok

You have to get from Bangkok to Surat Thani first. Thats a day trip in a bus or you can catch an overnight train and get a sleeper. You can also fly Bkk to Surat Thani (but it's the same distance as flying to Samui) Once at Surat Thani get a bus or taxi to Don Sak Pier, the ferry takes 90 mins and cost about 100bht. Dont forget you'll have to do this back again so its a full 2 days travelling in comparison to 2 x 1 hr flights...

Coffs

london
Level Contributor
403 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Samui to Bangkok

going by ferry/bus will take you a good 16 hours.

done the journey myself last year only because it was the only option at the time.

Koh Samui
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Samui to Bangkok

Be vigilant on the buses between Bangkok and the south of thailand becasue the private companies and staff which run these to samui, krabi and phuket are organised criminals and thieve from the tourists when they are sleeping.

I lost my dig camera only a few weeks ago and when i was in bkk waiting for the bus to return to Samui i met an american couple who also got done and had to sleep in the bus station on the last night of their holiday cuz they lost their travllers cheques.

The government buses (blue and white ones that run from the main southern bus station) are ok and the train's ok, but the private bus companies that usually run from Kaosan Road area and go to the South via Surrathani are very bad news and plagued by theft.

Another option is the lomphraya bus and ferry service via Chumphon and Koh Tao i think that route is ok.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Samui to Bangkok

Hi

It would be a lot easier to take a flight. Are you planning on taking the ferry/bus to save money?

Regards

Gard

Mountainside, New...
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Samui to Bangkok

I would suggest a flight. Its very easy and the Samui airport is quite cute.

6. Re: Ko Samui to Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, September 15, 2009