We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chaweng or lamai beach

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
chaweng or lamai beach

Have been considering staying within chaweng beach area, though have found some good accomodation within Lamai bach area. how far would we be from the nightlife and shops of chaweng if we stayed in Lamai.

We want to be somewhere fairly quiet, though not to far from the hustle. Also how do the beaches differ.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Ko Samui, Thailand
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chaweng or lamai beach

Hey, I've been to KS in Spt and stayed in Rocky resort , south Lamai. I rented a motorbike every day and I went to Chaweng (takes 20 min) and Crystal Bay, beautiful beaches and much better than Lamai.

I didn't find Chaweng so busy as they say in the forum and I think in this period it will be much less busy.

I would recommend you to go to Chaweng so you will be at the center of the nightlife and in the best beach, certainly the hotel prices are more expensive but probably in this period the fares will be cheaper.

Enjoy beautiful Thailand! It is a great Country!

Mentioned in this post
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Ko Samui, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Ko Samui, Thailand
Scotland
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chaweng or lamai beach

we stayed in chaweng last year and lamai this year. the sand is definately softer and whiter at chaweng but lamai is equally good for swimming (we were staying at the lamai wanta). one big plus for lamai is that there are a lot less beach hawkers and the beach was far quieter. there are still shops and restaurants etc in lamai although there are more girly bars - these did not bother us though, lamai is also much much cheaper.

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
446 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chaweng or lamai beach

Would second everything that vickivicks has said in her post. we have stayed in the Wanta. i don't think that it has the wow factor you are looking for although it is fab.

To me Lamai is like Chewang used to be

Can't beat the night life on the beach at chewang though.

Mentioned in this post
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Ko Samui, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chaweng or lamai beach

Are there actuall clubs/bars on the beach?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chaweng or lamai beach

If you visit the following site www.sawadee.com you will find all the info you need including interactive maps, distances , what to see and do in areas of samui.

its a great site.

cheers

howzat

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: chaweng or lamai beach

Thanks for that..I checked out green mango and Q-Bar this year and also did the full moon party..Back for round 2 in Dec/Jan..

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: chaweng or lamai beach

Than guys for all the advice, We have decided to broaden our search to anywhere on the east coast, as its a small island and everywhere is only a taxi ride. Could some one tell me how much a taxi would cost from say big budda to lamai beach. This would give me a good indication of general fare prices on the island.

london
Level Contributor
403 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: chaweng or lamai beach

taxis get a bad press on samui,rightly so.

taxis arnt cheap on samui as they refuse to use their meters.

if you use any taxi allways agree on a fare before you get into the taxi.

Phuket
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: chaweng or lamai beach

I think you could do worse than stay in Lamai. Its cheaper than Chaweng, Bhoput etc & the beach is fantastic. Great snorkeling at the south end around the rocks at Hinta Hinyai.

Its much easier to get in and out of Lamai compared to Chaweng which can be one big traffic jam. Also your near the south end of the island which has lots of unspoilt bays & coves, great for exploring.

The night life is also lots of fun with the usual mix of Thai & international restaurants. Lots of night market stalls for a bit of shopping after dinner & loads of bars of all types for some fun later in the evening. Bars close around 2 but theres a couple of clubs stay open later. Ones called Fusion but not sure of the others.

If you fancy a bit of girlybar fun try the bars around the Muy Thai boxing arena near to McDonalds. Saturday nights the best as they have live boxing. Usually 8 or 9 bouts with a mix of guys, girls & ladyboys with a few 'falangs' thrown in for good measure. Great entertainment. The girls in the

'Good Luck Bar' in the far corner really make you feel welcome.

All in all I'd say Lamai has everything without the 'crowds' of Chaweng etc......

Mentioned in this post
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Ko Samui, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Ko Samui, Thailand
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply