We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just don't get it - what are people looking for in reviews

Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Just don't get it - what are people looking for in reviews

Hi,

I'm new to Tripadvisor and am thinking of staying at the Waterfront Bophut in Koh Samui so I went to their reviews only to be very confussed at what sort of information people are looking for. I found them all very helpful.

As I see it many people have taken their time to write very detailed informative reports on their experience at the resort yet so many people have not found any of the reviews helpful - I'm truly amazed.

Check the reviews out and please tell me whats wrong with them!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Just don't get it - what are people looking for in reviews

Reet, don't stop writing your reviews - the fact that some people find them helpful means you are helping somebody. I'm not planning on going to any of the places that you reviewed but having read your reviews I would have found them helpful if I was planning on going there. I think if you're a first timer visiting a place for the first time a detailed review can be very helpful. You know what they say - you can't please all of the people all of the time!

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Just don't get it - what are people looking for in reviews

too many people here thinking they are more worthy than they really are. people giving excuses why someone gets more nos than yeses, thinking that these people just press no for the sake of it. i don't believe that.

it's interesting how the same people (not all), but certainly a large majority continually drool over long JBRs and reviews. i've gone thru the history of some people (no names will be mentioned) but some regular contributors contribute up to 60% of threads saying things like "great report", " can't wait till i go", 'i want to give you a big hug", "50 sleeps to go", next day "49 sleeps to go" etc etc etc etc. and these count as a contribution. well it isn't. and that's why people get turned off and say these types of things are unhelpful and hence the no vote.

bkk3

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Just don't get it - what are people looking for in reviews

So BKK3, what you are saying is that : BASED on what I have to say on the forum people purposely go over to the reviews that I write and hit NO - my reviews are unhelpful?!?! That just doesnt make a whole lot of sense and IF that is the case, well then thank god I dont waste my time writing any more hotel reviews....

For example... there is nothing in my review of The Villa at Siem Reap that is any different to other written after mine.. yet they all have 8 out of 8 being helpful while I score a 17 out of 49?!? Hmmmmm..... that makes a whole lot of sense now I know that people judge my hotel reviews on what I have to say over in the forums....

Thanks for enlightening me on the way it all works! I love this forum!

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Just don't get it - what are people looking for in reviews

Emjay

it's 9.20 p.m. here in BKK so it must be near midnight in Adelaide. what are you doing. you should be out in North Adelaide or up the Parade in Norwood or down at Glenelg, and not fretting about what you are trying to say or what i say. stay calm, have a few Coopers to chill out. come on, lighten up and take it for what it is.

i only posted because i'm in between soccer games on the T.V., then i'm going out.

by the way i have never pressed no (or yes) to anyone's review. don't want to give them an ego if i press yes and i don't want them to get depression if i vote no.

bkk3

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Just don't get it - what are people looking for in reviews

Emjay

Maybe you have an anti-EmjayReet groupie forum following who just want to wind you up by voting no.

anyway this is getting into chat territory and tripadvisor is no doubt reading.

bkk3

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Just don't get it - what are people looking for in reviews

I would love to be out on a Saturday night but a) I have two essays due on Monday and b) I am saving all my hard earnt coins as a student so that I can afford to get back to Thailand.

Maybe there is an Anti-EmjayReet group. Wouldnt surprise me!

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Just don't get it - what are people looking for in reviews

EmjayReet

you're up early.

no wonder people press the no button when topics such as "Captain Mark's and Cathy's Birthday" topics have just been posted. if TripAdvisor had a yes/no option i've got no doubt the no button would be running red hot and the website would crash.

anyway get those essays in, i expect a minimum credit at least if not a distinction.

bkk3

28. Re: Just don't get it - what are people looking for in reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:24 am, September 04, 2009