We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of eating out in Ko Samui

Edinburgh
7 posts
Save Topic
Price of eating out in Ko Samui

We're visiting Ko Samui soon as part of our honeymoon. We are staying at the Sala Samui Beach Resort, but don't want to have to eat in the hotel every day. Can anyone tell us average prices for:

1. Dinner in a nice restaurant for 2

2. Lunch for 2 people

3. Price of a pint of beer, bottle of wine and soft drinks

Just trying to work out how much money we need to put aside. Any help would be appreciated!

Galway
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Price of eating out in Ko Samui

I've read a few of these threads now, and I'm just as, if not more, confused!

Everyone (?) seems to state that Thailand is so cheap to eat, but....

just back from Scotland, where we ate perfectly decent pub evening meals in a nice pub. Massive platefuls, and nothing except steaks over £6.50 - around 400 baht?

It looks to me like that would be for the price for a nothing-special restaurant in KS too?

I appreciate that you can get a meal from a street market or vendor for £2 if that's what you really want, it just seems to me that restaurant prices aren't that much different from home.

Or maybe I'm losing something in the translation from Baht-Sterling-Euro???

In any event, if we can afford to get there, we can afford to eat, but I'm not sure I can see it's the bargain everyone says it is.

kent england
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Price of eating out in Ko Samui

hi

ive just got back from koh samui and for a family of four we never really spent more than £20 and that includes a starter 4 main meals a large beer and 3 soft drinks.

this was for gringos cantina a mexican restaurant just off of chaweng strip we also ate there for the same price and we all ate half a chicken and a rack of ribs plus drinks for £20 which i think is preety good even for thailand.

we also ate on the beach alot in some nice restaurants with prices ranging from £8 to £15 for the same as above

the thai food is also really cheap such as 50baht a dish in 1 place.

however it really does depend what restaurants you eat in and whether you spash out or not.

lunch was also the same depending on what you wanted to eat we sometimes went along to a beach restayrant and had a sandwich and chips each for 80baht.

the beer depended where you got it from the local beer in the restaurants was about 110 for a large bottle or jug although if you bought it in the shop it was only about 40baht

dont know about the wine but think it was expensive

the soft drink are like the beer in restaurants it was 30-40 baht a bottle whereas in the shops you pay that for the 2l bottles.

hope this helps and enjoy for holiday

becki

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Price of eating out in Ko Samui

If you are a wine drinker, as we are and you want it for your balcony or room, try Tesco lotus or Makro. We got a good box of cab sav in Makro for the price of a bottle in a restaurant.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
476 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Price of eating out in Ko Samui

Think the sala is chongmon beach? We stayed at the imperial boathouse just down from the sala and there are quite a few restaurants along the beach and we decided this was much nicer than eating at the hotel as they set out chairs and tables on the beach - we paid approx £6-12 for evening meal for 2 (price depending on if we had cocktails afterwards or not!) In Nathon we managed to pay £2 for chicken rice (kow pad gai) and a drink each for lunch!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Price of eating out in Ko Samui

Two quid for chicken and rice!!!........in nathon as well! I'm curious as to exactly where that was if you remember.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
476 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Price of eating out in Ko Samui

Have no idea - it was like a cafe style place on the corner of one of streets leading to the sea front opposite another larger restaurant but cannot remeber the name for the life of me - that was back in 2005 as well!!

Helsinki
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Price of eating out in Ko Samui

A link about Thailand street prices

…googlepages.com/thailand-price-examples

18. Re: Price of eating out in Ko Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, September 09, 2009