We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chaweng vs Lamai

Dublin
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chaweng vs Lamai

Hi All,

Myself and my girlfriend heading to samui for 8 nights at end of August and wondering where to stay?Lamai or Chaweng?this is going to sound weird but I stayed in both 3yrs ago (Utopia Bungalows in Lamai and Chaweng Gradens opposite green mango in Chaweng).

Back then I thought Lamai's beach was far superior to Chaweng (especially since the beach was overcrowded and very filthy)However now everywhere I read says somewhere like Chaweng Noi away from the hustle and bustle would be ideal for a beach loving couple looking for peaceful relaxing time yet still within walking distance of restaurants pubs etc?

Can anyone confirm/offer some advice on this? And also where could we stay?Weve been told about Lamai Wanta (a pools a must) but no nothing of Chaweng?

Please Help!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai

Hello

I stayed for 3 weeks in Chaweng at the Chaweng Regent and our 'Royal Suite' was just 2 yards from the beach. The entire beach in Chaweng was very nice. There was very no litter or rubbish anywhere and we walked the length of the beach a few times.

Noi is much more quiet than Lamai and Chaweng, however we found Chaweng to be quiet, clean and relaxing when we went in December (high season).

Chweng regent is very nice as is the Central Samui and Amari (all 4 star places)

We visited Lamai and we were glad we chose Chaweng out of the two. Hope it helps dude

Dublin
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai

Thanks man!Just checked out your place and its a little out of our price range!We've prob a max budget of 4000thb/night.......so any other suggestions would be musch appreciated!i dunno bout the litter element maybe we caught it at a bad 3/4 days.

Thanks!

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
807 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai

We just returned from Samui Paradise Resort, situated on South Chaweng beach, near the corner before Chaweng Noi. Really lovely part of the beach, quieter but an easy walk to the centre!!

Only consider a Grand Seaveiw Villa, these are lovely and new! Think these can only be booked on the resorts website. We had villa 516 and we were 10 meters from the beach with great views.

Small new pool, bar, and lovely restaurant on the beach, the resort is small and laid back, very rustic but suited us!

Chez

xx

England, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai

Hi, I'm English & live in Lamai and much prefer it over Cheweng. Cheweng is more the party place, ok for a night out now and then but I couldn't live there.

The Wanta is a lovely place to stay, I have stayed there when I used to come here on holiday. The pool is right next to the beach, the restuarent is lovely and get about 200bht a day each for food and drink. My parents are staying there when they come to visit.

The Best Resort is also opposite the Wanta and has rooms from about 300bht to 1,500bht a night and it has a lovely big pool (not sure about a web site though). Lamai Inn 99 is also good 1 min from Wanta right on the beach. They have a lovely pool there too, it has been renovated quite a bit over the last year.

There is some lovely beach bars to sunbathe at just 5 mins up the beach from the Wanta (opposite end to Utopia), Zig Zags, Cafe Del Mar & Bao Bobs. They all do good food and the owners are lovely make you feel welcome.

I hope my advise helps you a bit

Petra

England, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai

Hi, I'm English & live in Lamai and much prefer it over Cheweng. Cheweng is more the party place, ok for a night out now and then but I couldn't live there.

The Wanta is a lovely place to stay, I have stayed there when I used to come here on holiday. The pool is right next to the beach, the restuarent is lovely and get about 200bht a day each for food and drink. My parents are staying there when they come to visit.

The Best Resort is also opposite the Wanta and has rooms from about 300bht to 1,500bht a night and it has a lovely big pool (not sure about a web site though). Lamai Inn 99 is also good 1 min from Wanta right on the beach. They have a lovely pool there too, it has been renovated quite a bit over the last year.

There is some lovely beach bars to sunbathe at just 5 mins up the beach from the Wanta (opposite end to Utopia), Zig Zags, Cafe Del Mar & Bao Bobs. They all do good food and the owners are lovely make you feel welcome.

I hope my advise helps you a bit

Petra

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai

Please tell me I can retire now Petra?!! No, I am glad there is someone on lamai to advise - I am a part-time Lamai beachbum (also English). The great thing about Lamai is that the differences are so much fewer than Chaweng in the last 10-15 years. (though I remember Lamai99 being 300 baht a night!!)

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai

Hi stayed in the regent in one of the royal suites and then went down to Lamai at the wanta. so did both . i was happy to get down to the Wanta and lamai to get away from the hoards of kids that dominated the pool next to the beach at the regent.

Also we paid very heavly for the royal suite we upgraded to this as I thought that the deluxe rooms were small.

The position on the Regent is good but so is the wanta totally different star ratings though.

We have just come back from Samui and stayed in the Amari lovely hotel but vowed again never to stop on chewang again. We keep saying it ! we went down to lamai for a couple of nights out. The atmosphere is just different, cozier.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai

We are going to Lamai in August, staying at Bay View Resort.

Both of us are confirmed beach bums, so is the beach OK for some serious loafing and general idleness.

Done Goa loads of times, and read reports that Lamai has similarities, ie restaurants and bars on beach open till late.

Any info much appreciated. Thanks.

zeist
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai

if you like peaceful and relaxing time within walking distance from the reaggae pub and green mango and als the sound, then try : silver sand bungalow's !!

it is not expensive and if you take the a.c. bungalow, it is also very clean and you got a lot of privisie.

but the best thing is that your staiing just 50 meters from the beach and from 10 am there's already massage on the beach.

also there is within the park a restaurant (sandy's) where you can eat very good. but also many,many restaurant's around for a good meal and drink !

i hope to help you a bit in your surch !

greets, Lex R

10. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 02, 2009