We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rate AUD,catching ferry straight from airport

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
354 posts
42 reviews
Exchange rate AUD,catching ferry straight from airport

HI all just wondering if someone can tell me the current exchange rate for AUD in Koh Samui. My son is traveling there in Jan but will fly into the airport and straight onto a ferry to Koh Tao. I know the rates in Koh Tao are not great and same with the airport so just working out if it is better to get before he leaves or is there an option near the Pralan Pier that does good rates. Thanks so much

5 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Exchange rate AUD,catching ferry straight from airport

I would have a look on daytodaydata.net to get an idea.

The AUD has been on the decline...I doubt it will get any better before Jan. I live in hope as I need to do a FX in April next year..

If the best rate in is 24 .75 in Bangkok, I would think that places like Koh Samui will be about 23 .5 at best.

Chok dee

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,773 posts
383 reviews
2. Re: Exchange rate AUD,catching ferry straight from airport

Hi

There are no real options for money changing at Pralan pier - its a pretty small place. You don’t say where your son is flying into Samui from, Bangkok? Kuala Lumpur? Singapore? If its Bangkok, you can find the Superrich forex at the airport. Superrich always give the best rates, and will also give better rates for larger notes [GB£50s for us or AU$100’s for you. https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en . You will always get a better rate in Thailand, even if its at a Thai airport than you will outside Thailand.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Exchange rate AUD,catching ferry straight from airport

Thank you all for your help. He is flying australia to kl then koh samui. Thanks again.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,773 posts
383 reviews
4. Re: Exchange rate AUD,catching ferry straight from airport

Hi

You won't get a great rate in Kuala Lumpur [KUL]. I can't say I have seen any forex at the airport, but to be honest I was not looking for any . . . the only option, if he has a spare couple of hours, is to head into Chaweng and get money changed at one of the Forex booths, like the blue B&P. There are ATMs at the aiport, but only a couple as its a really tiny airport.

Edited: 11:51 am, December 19, 2017
Koh Tao, Thailand
1 post
5. Re: Exchange rate AUD,catching ferry straight from airport

24.60 was the best yesterday. Avoid East way travel centre. Banks are probably the best.

Reply to: Exchange rate AUD,catching ferry straight from airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted