We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Samui with an Infant

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Samui with an Infant

Next week, I am travelling to Samui with my wife and our infant daughter. I would like to know about the Day tours. We are considering Marine Park day tour. Are they safe for infants? What activities do you suggest? What are the must visit places in Samui? We will be in Samui for 5 days. Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,745 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Samui with an Infant

Hi

I think that the Marine Park might be closed [as it does around November / December each year. Given the Sea condition at this time of year s it it not really suitable for an infant - to be honest it is not really child friendly when the sea is calm. Its also a time when you might see more rain.

What to see and do is very much a personal choice, as one mans "yeah, it's the best' is another persons 'nah, I don't think so", but as a very simple guide the most popular sights can be found via the links to the FAQ Favourite things to do . . .

Lists from others of their favourite 3 things to see and do when on Samui -> tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g676072-i12382-k…

Lists from others of their A-Z of things they like to see and do when on Samui -> tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293918-i7560-k5…

Official TA list of things to do on Samui -> https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g2…

Markets or walking streets on Samui -> tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293918-c192555/Ko-…

The Samui Archipelago is made up of Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, The National Marine Park, Koh Taen and Mudsum and you can get some lovely boat trips https:/… and https:/…MAPVIEW

Samui Island Explorer are great for tours and ideas -> http://www.samuiislandexplorer.com/

T W
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Samui with an Infant

I think it's fine. But if the weather's too hot, you plan on taking a speedboat or if the water isn't calm, then you might want to reconsider.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Samui with an Infant

I went to Samui when my daughter was 8 months old and no way would I take her on the marine park tour. It is a very long day with very little shade and if the baby is upset or unwell, what do you do then?

I did the marine park with my daughter when she was 14 and even then (and she is used to the heat) she was exhausted and sunburnt (despite all the precautions). It is a lovely day out but with a young baby, I wouldn't recommend it at all. They wouldn't have a lifejacket small enough either.

Speedboat trips can be rough at the best of times and at this time of year can be much worse. The bumping up and down is difficult to stay in your seat sometimes so holding a baby this could be quite dangerous.

With a little one, I think you need to accept that you can't do everything that you might normally do without kids, especially when the weather is not great.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,745 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Samui with an Infant

Both Mr Mitch and I suffered terrible back injuries following going out on a speedboat and hit 3 rouge waves, not around Samui I will say but in Thailand . . . plus you do see speedboats that are overcrowded going out in rough weather and being swamped - this lead to a terrible tragedy in May 2016.

I went to the Marine Park in October on a non speedboat tour [Red Dragon]. The boat rode the waves nicely, but it was pretty calm. The setting is not conducive for an infants safety even on that sort of boat - adults and children that would be school age no issue, but not infants! Red Dragon is a well run ship, and they do put safety first but you can never be too careful with babies! I have 9 grandchildren, so come with some experience!

December is when the Marine Park is closed and there are ROUGH seas. Only a uncaring parent will put their holiday before their child.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Samui with an Infant

Thank you everyone. I am already in Koh Samui. As recommended, will skip venturing into the sea with the infant.

Please can you suggest how can I hire taxis for local travel. I am at IC Samui and their rates are expensive.

Also, please provide some recommendation on full day or half day group city tour?

Thank you again.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Samui with an Infant

I would contact Samui Island Explorer to see if they can do your day trip.

https://www.samuiislandexplorer.com/

They might be booked out for this busy time of year, however if so they are friendly and I am sure would help to recommend to you other options.

IN regards to taxis you are a little bit stuck for choice being at the Inter continental as you are far from the main tourist area. Best thing you can do is find a local taxi where you can take the driver's phone number and be able to call him on demand for a negotiated price.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,745 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Samui with an Infant

Or download the Navigo Samui app [works a bit like Uber]

Reply to: Travelling to Samui with an Infant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted