We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

I’ve a query please. We are flying from Heathrow to Koh Samui transitting through Bangkok. If we buy duty free gin at Heathrow, will we have issues through security at Bangkok as it’s liquids? Not sure if we will actually go through security as such but don’t want it confiscated. Thank you.

21 replies to this topic
Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

Don’t bother. You’ll find perfectly good Gilbey’s Gin at 7/11’s in Thailand.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

That’s great. Thank you for that. I know that drinks aren’t cheap there. Guess I can get tonic there too?

Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

Tonic might not be as easy!!

Definitely only supermarkets will have that, not local shops.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

hi Debbie

A bottle of Gibeys Gin cost me 493 baht in Chiang Mai .

Tonic water I find expensive as it is in around in 330 mls cans ,there cost about 14 baht.

However the limes are cheap !!!!

You will come thru Immigration at BKK and then on a domestic flight to Koh Samui. It then depends on how it have been ticketed.

Cheers

Chok dee

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

Tesco, Big C, Makro stores, will be cheaper than 7.11 for booze!

Tonic water is really hit and miss even at the bigger stores, If you want real lemon, with your G&T, Big C is usually the only store that carries lemons!...

Keep in mind buying booze is limited to certain hours, more so in the larger stores...

Edited: 6:54 pm, December 10, 2017
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,745 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

Ok, your question! I don't find Gin [other than the local brand] that cheap to buy in the 7Eleven on samui, and tonic can be hit and miss at times, but mostly its ok. Other than the time the factory in Bangkok got flooded several years ago there has not been an issue. There are restrictions on the times when you can buy booze at shops and supermarkets which don't always make sense to the tourist. Things will be cheaper in the larger supermarkets like Big C or Tesco Lotus but unless you have a car, not always easy to get too, the 7Elevens / Family Marts are just about every 50-100m in busy areas.

Assuming you are on ONE ticket, and you just transit at BKK collecting your bags at Samui, then when you buy your DF liquids at LHR they will be put in a sealed duty free bag. DO NOT OPEN THIS BAG! At BKK you will do immigration at the small internal transit point within the airport. You will also do a quick customs check where any liquid over 100ml NOT in the sealed DF bag will be confiscated, be it booze or perfume etc.

If you are on TWO tickets and have to collect your bags and check in again at BKK then we just put the DF liquids in our checked in luggage and never had an issue.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

As TravellingMitch says, as long as all of your duty free is in the sealed STEB bags (make sure you tell them at LHR that you are transiting to a domestic flight), it will be fine.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice. I’m fairly sure we are one ticket transitting through Bangkok. I’ll be sure to say at Heathrow that we are transferring to a domestic flight. Do they not use a sealed bag anyway?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,745 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

Hi

No they don't always use sealed customs bags as a matter of course unless you insist. They will also include your receipt in the bag showing the date.

I've seen people lose bottles of expensive drinks and perfume because they split the bag to look at the purchases.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui

Is the bag just called a customs bag?

Reply to: Heathrow duty free flying to Koh Samui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted