We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!

Devon
Level Contributor
316 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!

Hello.. First time on this Forum so would be glad of replies.

We are coming to Koh Samui next year. We are two couples aged 70 with our grown up children and their little families so age ranges from 12 to 70. I've looked at lots of hotels but advice would be welcomed

We want somewhere with a good beach. Quiet area is a MUST We don't want to be near night clubs etc. Any suggestions for a decent hotel.? I loved the look of 'Poppies' but it is probably over our budget. Love the idea of little bungalow type rooms for each of the four families rather than a multi-floored hotel. We would have had a busy week beforehand so somewhere peaceful would be great but would maybe like to be able to take a trip to shops once or twice. Also good Thai restaurants within walking distance would be fab. (I was a little concerned to read that it is difficult to find Thai food on Koh Samui these days - that restaurants serve European menus... I'm sure that can't be true? Local cuisine is a major part of any holiday we do)

ANY advice would be great for our 3-generational Holiday!

9 replies to this topic
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!

Have a look at Choeng Mon beach. It is a lovely beach, quiet but with many restaurants to walk to and within easy 10-15 minute taxi ride of the busier areas of Chaweng or Bophut.

The Imperial Boathouse might suit. Has hotel style accommodation as well as boathouses which are pretty unique. Samui Honey Cottages is another option which is family run and very popular. Royal Muang Samui Villas is very Thai style on the same beach.

There is still Thai style food available. Some of the places in the busy tourist areas do cater for western tastebuds but we've always found pretty good food, especially at the smaller less fancy places. Once you work out where you are staying you can come back for suggestions. Don't despair, you will find good food.

Poppies is lovely but more of a couples place in my opinion. It only has a tiny pool (although on a lovely stretch of beach).

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,683 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!

Welcome to the forum.

Another thought might be somewhere like First Beach bungalows in Chaweng Noi. Good range of rooms. The good thing about this part of Chaweng Noi is you can walk through to south Chaweng and there are some nice little bars and restaurants.

Imperial Boathouse is certainly in a nice location. Honey Cottages a bit less so.

Not a lot of 'bungalows' that fit the bill nowadays, and with such a large group and not knowing the budget it’s actually easier if you do some research and test bookings against these links as these include just about all the well-known big or smaller booking sites. You can see what fits your budget, style and requirements, draw up a shortlist for comments; which always gets a better response. TA offer a hotel comparison on prices now via, Hotels -> https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g293918… where you can read reviews of other travellers as well as do comparison bookings like https://www.hotelscombined.com/ , http://www.trivago.co.uk/ or https://www.skyscanner.net/hotels and http://www.trivago.com/ . I also like to contact the hotels directly as they often offer a better deal than the booking sites! We can give feed back on locations and other criteria.

There is lots of thai food on Samui. Most restaurants serve it. What you have probably read is people going on about finding 'authentic' thai food, as many dishes have been toned down as the western pallet is not so accepting of chilli and raw fish. There is lots of good food on Samui./

Devon
Level Contributor
316 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Travelling Mitch I have done a lot of trawling through the usual sites like Travago/ TA etc. and have indeed contacted a couple of hotels myself. My brain aches!! Hence the request for suggestions from people who know the area well.

I looked at Chaweng Cove Beach Resort but not sure it is quite right for us and some reviews say it is looking tired. Do either of you have any thoughts on that?

I liked the look of the Royal Muang Samui Villas (thank you JustAllie) It looks promising.

Also liked The Sea Dance.

The main difficulty I am having is finding a hotel with room to accommodate two parents and two children. So many rooms only offer one double bed. Even a 'Family' room seems to mostly offer just one double and one single.

I will continue my research and trawling but again would be grateful for any further thoughts. Sorry I cant be more specific with my budget but I'm still putting other elements of the holiday together. Best I can say is Mid-range I suppose.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!

I stayed at Chaweng Cove 5 years ago and the bungalows were very newly renovated then. The garden and poolside ones are lovely and a decent size but not for 4. They do have family rooms (only 2) with a separate sleeping area which would fit 4. It potentially would be looking tired but I guess it depends on what you want to spend. When we went we thought it was good value compared to other places we were looking at. It is on a really lovely stretch of the beach and within walking distance to lots of places to eat etc. It is quiet inside the resort but fairly busy (although not as busy as the centre of Chaweng) outside.

Another option for families is the Amari which is a larger resort. The beach isn't as nice as Chaweng Cove but it is a large resort with family rooms etc. Still plenty of places to walk to for meals etc. The Centara Grand is another option - a large resort but lots of space for kids to run around, nice beach and lots of room options.

Re the tired comments - I look at lots of reviews and also the other reviews that they have left to see if the report is reasonable. Some people complain about the slightest of things. Tired doesn't really bother me but cleanliness is important so I make my decisions that way. Sometimes if places are more Thai style with dark wood people think they are dated when they are just a different style.

Problem with bungalow type places is that they generally don't fit 4 in them. Larger hotels have adjoining rooms which is another option. There is going to have to be compromise somewhere.

Edited: 9:54 pm, September 21, 2017
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!

I only travel as a couple so can't help with the family accoms, some good suggestions from Ali and Mitch though.

But I just will make two comments -

I'm a bit over reading reviews where people say rooms are looking "tired", as if every hotel room everywhere has to be brand new all the time. And too often people's opinions of "tired" differ enormously. I've seen people leave reviews saying rooms look tired when they've been renovated just a few months prior. At any rate as long as the room is clean and generally well maintained, I fail to see how a small amount of wear and tear impacts on your enjoyment of a room anyway, some people are just far too picky. So I tend to ignore most reviews now that suggest things look tired.

Secondly, don't despair about lack of Thai food. One trick of mine, is many of the western food restaurants will often have Thai food section of their menu. Because this is not their main fare, when the cook gets an order for the Thai food they will just cook it how they would normally. So you can often get a much less 'dumbed down" dish than you would in a Thai specific restaurant in the tourist areas. But also, there is still plenty of very good Thai food available if you go away from the tourist areas a bit. You don't even have to go very far, just away from the beach a bit (main road, little side streets etc)

Devon
Level Contributor
316 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!

Those comments are REALLY helpful. Thank you. We are quite well-travelled and like to do a fair bit of research etc whilst acknowledging that all reviews are subjective.

I think I have somehow got a bit bogged down with this one, confused and over-thinking it (probably because we are taking our grandchildren and I want this trip to be all about Memory Making)

Your replies have put everything back into perspective. Thankyou!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,683 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!

You don't say how much folks are travelling, but have you thought about hiring a villa? That would be real memory making!

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!

Yes, renting a private pool villa could be more economic for a larger group than booking multiple hotel rooms. You generally get much more space and privacy for less $.

You can check availability here on TA under Vacation Rentals or on Airbnb.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!

I'd stay in choeng Mon. And I'd rent villas. Look at horizon villas. Get two places on the same complex. Way better than hotels. They all have pools and most are three bedrooms

Reply to: Accommodation suggestions for 3-generational holiday please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted