We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sala Samui - 14 nights too long?

London, UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Sala Samui - 14 nights too long?

Hi There,

I have just 'discovered' the Sala Samui on Tripadvisor and am very excited it looks incredible.

Anyway, we are thinking of going for the last two weeks in February 2008 (a long way away I know but it gives me something to look forward to!). A couple of questions:

1) Is 14 nights too long here? Is there plenty to do and see?

2) Like the look of the Sala Pool villa, some reports say the pool is in or out of the sun, if we book we'd rather one in the sun, any suggestions on which one to request?

3) Is the weather good In February?

4) Flights into Bangkok I assume and then on to Samui, any tips on who to book with (from London)?

Many thanks to anyone who responds.

Livery

Mentioned in this post
SALA Samui Chaweng Beach Resort
SALA Samui Chaweng Beach...
90 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 103 hotels in Chaweng
#2 of 103 hotels in Chaweng
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#3 of 184 hotels in Bophut
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
346 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sala Samui - 14 nights too long?

I have not stopped at this resort so cannot comment on it.

We did 14 nights with Kouni for Honeymoon on Samui at Poppies. We found 14 nights on the island a little to long if like me you like a mixture of beach, shopping and tourist sights. The people and Island is fantastic but tourist sights are limited and can be done in a couple of days. Shopping is great - take and empty suitcase and buy your holiday clothes there. There also cookery schools etc if this is your thing.

You can drive around the island in less than an hour.

If you want nothing more than to bronze by the pool or on the beach then 14 nights anywhere will be great.

If you have a tall person flying then I suggest you try SKYTRAX - they list good and bad about ALL airlines including seat pitches.

We flew with Thai from terminal 3 Heathrow which was a bit dearer @£50 each than the cheapest but it was direct and stress free. They leave at lunch time Uk and arrive at Bangkok 0600 local time. Going back it just as good. Midnight flight and arrive at 0630 at heathrow.

We are going back this year to the same hotel with Thai air and found the best fare by far was with www.airline-network.co.uk. You must however be prepared to monitor the price as 12 months before travel it was £680 each but 3 months before flying it was £475 for the same flight. we are doing 10 nights and four in Cambodia.

Only Bangkok air fly to Samui - sign up for their flying bonus and get access to their private lounges - its free to sign and free to get in the lounge for members. the earlier you book the cheaper it is.

Can't comment on february weather as we went in June.

Hope this helps. Willy.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
London, UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sala Samui - 14 nights too long?

Hi Catman Willy,

Thanks so much for coming back to me, this is really helpful. I am used to booking quite far in advance, is this not really neccesary?

Many thanks

Livery

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sala Samui - 14 nights too long?

Hi Livery, like you I usually book my holidays well in advance (last year we booked in Jan to go to Goa the following Feb) and we are planning on going to Ko Samui the first 2 weeks in Feb next year. One of the problems I have found is that because the flights are scheduled they don't go on sale until 11 months before travel. My travel agent is checking out the prices at the moment flying from Heathrow into Bangkok (with 3 nights in Bangkok) and then on to Ko Samui for 10 nights. I'm not bothered which airline I fly with as long as it's direct though Thai are looking most likely at the moment. From the research I have done February seems to be the best month weather wise but I can't speak from personal experience as this will be my first visit.

Good luck with your booking.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Ko Samui
Ko Samui
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
346 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sala Samui - 14 nights too long?

I would not like to give definative suggestions but I found that Thai tickets go on sale @10 months before the flight date. They start high then drop @3-4 months before you travel and then go back up a little. Why pay an agents fees when you can order online yourself and get an E ticket? I misssed the lowest price by a day or so but got the same flight £200 cheaper EACH by logging in three times a week and picking the best time to book. It is a bit of a gamble but as there are cheaper flights going from the same locations with other airlines I was confident that we would travel on that date.

I chose Thai rather than the cheaper offerings as I am 6ft 2 tall and Thai have the biggest seat pitch on that route plus the in flight service in economy is fantastic. I didn't fancy a 3 hour stop over in the middle east either.

I tried all of the "discount flight sites" and found airline network cheaper than any other - even Thai air's own site.

The reviews on skytrax suggest that the flights are never 100% full and that was the case when we went in 2004.

As for Bangkok air - the prices stayed the same no matter when I checked so I booked them early to ensure we did not have a lenghty wait in Bangkok airport.

Try pricing flights for next week and it should suggest if the flights are full or not. Then compare the price for a flight in three months time etc

The first time we went with Kuoni and were charged by them for using the "executive lounge" in Bangkok.

By registering as a frequent flyer with Bangkok air you get the lounges free. Free soft drinks and snacks, newspapers etc.

Hope this helps. Willy.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sala Samui - 14 nights too long?

Hi Livery

Hope this is not too late - you may have already booked.

Yep there are many flights leaving every day from Bangkok to Koh Samui and all pretty cheap so no worries there.

As for Sala Samui - I think you may end up brain-dead if you stay there for 14 days! Very boring resort - certainly in my opinion no way as luxurious as claimed on their website/literature. We booked to stay there for 11 days last year and all but managed 8. Had a way more enjoyable and exciting time going back to Bangkok a few days earlier than planned. Infuriates me how may 5 out of 5 reviews this resorts gets. Suppose it's a matter of taste but I think it's way over-rated and over-priced and would neither go back or recommend it to any of my friends. There are better places to stay in Samui.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
SALA Samui Chaweng Beach...
90 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
6. Re: Sala Samui - 14 nights too long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, August 17, 2009