We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Warnings on Thailand

Sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel Warnings on Thailand

Hi, Im planning a trip to Ko Samui for my honeymoon. But a travel warning was recently issued due to frequent violence and even bomb blasts in Hat Yai and nearby Songkhla city.

Can anyone tell me what the real situation is like in Thailand, and are there many tourists in Ko Samui at the moment?

Also on a much lighter note, which hotel would be more suitable for honeymooners, Central Samui Beach Resort or Chaweng Regent Beach Resort?

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Warnings on Thailand

There has been a separatist group in southern thailand for many years now.The violence does not extend to the popular tourist areas.

In april and may there are often a horde of european tourists.

London
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Warnings on Thailand

BABBLE ALERT!!!!

Congratulations:-)

I haven't been to Chaweng Regent, so I can't compare... but I have been to Central Samui and it was one of my best holidays EVER.... The beauty about the hotel is it is a little set back from the hustle and bustle. The beach is quieter (from tourists) as it is private and you don't get harrassed by sellers. Something to think about: Chaweng is very lively and busy, if you are looking for a secluded escape thing, your not gonna get that. HOWEVER: I personally loved having the mix!!! Stunning hotel, the pool is just incredible.

We kept thinking that we had trespassed into someone elses hotel and had to pinch ourselves that we were truely staying there. Why we liked being near the centre was because rather than being stranded in the middle of no where, you can go to eat in so so so many places. Take a stroll along the beach at night, its all lit up, either eat on the sand (on top of a mat), with a little table and cushions, or in the western way... so cheap and so romantic. We loved 2 of the restaurants in the hotel, the Thai and Japenese. Again stunning honeymoon setting. Also for dining visit poppies (ask for seating by beach, must book in advance) and the Eat Sense was delicious. They were my personal favourites, esp from a honeymoon point of view, so romantic...but there are tones more and amazing value places...

As for violence: To be safe contact your Consulate in Australia. You can find them on the Web, where they give info and contact details if you need further assistance. I personally don't think it will be an issue.

Congrats again and have a fantastic time:-)

Dublin
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Warnings on Thailand

Hi,

I havent heard of any blasts etc. But I think yje Chaweng Regent Beach Resort would be the better option. WE stayed next door to it last year in a few villas and were always so jealous!

Have a fabulous time..get a boat over to Ko Phagn Ngan and spend adaydoing a boat tour around teh island..bottle beach is amazing!

Rachel

Sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Warnings on Thailand

Thanks for the info everyone...