We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

And the winner is...Bophut!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
160 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
And the winner is...Bophut!

Hey all,

A first timers prospective of where to stay on Koh Samui.

It was something I anguished over for ages. I did loads of research and in the end I settled on splitting our 8 nights up into 2 different areas, Chaweng south at Banana Fan Sea and Bophut at Bandara resort.

Let me first say that both resorts are top notch and this is not a review of the Hotels rather the areas.

Chaweng was great and I'd recommend for young people or peole who like loads of action, or like to have chain style shopping and food outlets at their disposal. Whilst the beach was nice with crystal clear water, it is very shallow and hard to get in past your waistline even at the best part of the beach where we stayed.

We did a morning in Choeng mon and I'm really glad I didn't stay there as I would have been pretty bored. Small, still bay with lots is young families, not our scene at all.

We also spent a day at Lamai and we liked it better then Chaweng. The beach was so lovely with interesting rock formations which caused nice little pools. There was a good sized town and didn't feel as crazy as Chaweng. It had a nice range of restaurants on the beach and also good accomodation options.

But here we are now in Bophut and I'm in heaven. The fishermans village is filled with boutique shops and lovely upmarket cafes and restaurants. Surprisingly too, the beach is really quite lovely and it's deep!! Yay!! Great for swimming not just sitting in.

Anyway, it's got a completely different vibe to all of the aforementioned and definately a classier alternative if that's your thing. We love the bar on the beach with the swing chairs, Cocos. It had some seriously cool music playing yesterday and the cocktails were delish. Everything seems similarly priced here as Chaweng and possibly even a little cheaper.

Anyway, everyone has there point of view but I'm voting Bophut, followed pretty closely with Lamai.

As a couple in our late 40's who like happy hours, decent beaches and nice dining (not fine dining), Bophut is our perfect holiday spot. We'll be back for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
467 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Banana Fan Sea Resort
Banana Fan Sea Resort
1,591 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Bandara Resort & Spa
Bandara Resort & Spa
2,011 Reviews
Bophut, Thailand
Choeng Mon
Choeng Mon
Bophut, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
21 replies to this topic
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: And the winner is...Bophut!

I also love Bophut, glad you are enjoying it. I've stayed at Bandara 3 times and am booked for a 4th stay coming up, it's a nice resort and good value for money. Fisherman's village is great, lots of nice shops and restaurants. Do also have a look at the restaurants out on the ring road, there are some nice ones there too, especially Cafe 69.

Mentioned in this post
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Bandara Resort & Spa
Bandara Resort & Spa
2,011 Reviews
Bophut, Thailand
Queensland...
Level Contributor
160 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: And the winner is...Bophut!

Thanks Dragon Lass!

Yes, Bandara is great value. Love the gardens especially.

Thanks for the information. Will check out your recommendations.

Cheers

Aussiemum

Mentioned in this post
Bandara Resort & Spa
Bandara Resort & Spa
2,011 Reviews
Bophut, Thailand
Melbourne
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: And the winner is...Bophut!

Thanks heaps for your review :-) we are also in our 40s heading over in 2 weeks and first timers as well, this has been very helpful !!! We are staying in Chaweng (slightly South) but thinking of hiring a car or scooter to explore, not sure what the traffic is like as compared to Bali, we will decide when we get there.. but you seem to have the similar taste to us, so we will definitely check out Bophut !!

Edited: 12:32 am, July 27, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Queensland...
Level Contributor
160 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: And the winner is...Bophut!

Hi Chrissy,

I think you will love Samui. It is a tropical paradise and is also so much fun.

Please check your insurance if you don't hold a motorcycle license if you do plan on hiring one. We have already seen 2 accidents and heard about another awful one where they are not covered and needed to come up with a huge sum of money before being treated.

If you are, please, please wear a helmet :)

Bophut is a charming place and I'm glad my post is of some help to you.

Have a fabulous time!

Cheers

Aussiemum

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
467 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
5. Re: And the winner is...Bophut!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:55 am, July 27, 2017
Edited: 12:55 am, July 27, 2017

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,649 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: And the winner is...Bophut!

I'm glade you love Samui Aussiemum, and glad you found your beach

I have visited all the beaches over the years, and I like Bophut, but having stayed there it was not for us - although the north coast as the lovely views.

Its all a matter of taste - marmite / vegemit argument I call it. LOL I'm nearly 60 and love Chaweng. I feell in love the first time we visited way back when, and although lots has changed since the first visit its like an enduring love. I can't say I like loads of action, or like to do any shopping in chain style places and can't remember the last time I ate a a western chain food outlet.

Chrissie, the traffic is ok, if you are a seasoned / experienced / licensed scooter rider then you should be ok, but its not the place to learn. The roads are ok, but the overall driving standard is not good - mostly youngsters learning to ride a scooter on what is the 'wrong' side of the road for them! In which case rent a car. South Chaweng is a good solid first timers choice. If you like Samui you will be back and have found the beach you prefer.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
467 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Queensland...
Level Contributor
160 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: And the winner is...Bophut!

Yes TravellingMitch, you are absolutely right about the Vegemite/marmite comparison and I'm sure Chaweng holds a very nostalgic place in your heart. I can only imagine how much it has changed in those years.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers

Aussiemum

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Sydney
Level Contributor
71 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: And the winner is...Bophut!

Aussiemum70, your post is a godsend- thank you!!! I'm in the same age group as you. I've been reading so many reviews to try to get an idea of whether Bophut has any atmosphere, but haven't heard much about this. My partner likes cheap 'n cheerful authentic eateries and he hates overpriced chic/hip ones. He loved his stay at Chaweng 30 years ago but I wanted to know if he'd accept Bophut -- or if it is too quiet at night there?

Mentioned in this post
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: And the winner is...Bophut!

"My partner likes cheap 'n cheerful authentic eateries and he hates overpriced chic/hip ones."

Samui is like Bondi. Full of tourists and high prices.

If you want authentic Thailand it's not the place to go. But the locals will eat at cheaper places away from the beaches.

Thailand has dozens of islands to choose from so there's a bit of eveything.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
467 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: And the winner is...Bophut!

I love Bophut myself, but if your partner is not a fan of "chic/hipster" places then Bophut is probably not the place, Fisherman's village is full of such places.

For you I'd suggest Chaweng - if you don't want it too busy, then stay more towards the southern end of the strip where it is away from the busier bits of nightlife but still plenty of eateries. Lamai would also be a decent option, Lamai still maintains a bit of a backpacker feel.

But wherever you stay, do make sure you explore the areas away from the main tourist bits, to find more authentic and cheaper restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Bophut, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Maret, Thailand
Reply to: And the winner is...Bophut!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted