We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chaweng vs Lamai vs Bophut

Spain
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chaweng vs Lamai vs Bophut

What is the best place to stay in Samui?

We are going to be there during 7 seven nights in August.

Altough we are young (my husband and me)we are not looking a party place, but also not a boring one.We'd like a place with some restaurants, some places to take a beer or a cocktail in the evening, some shopping.... and of course a nice beach to relax.

Is Chaweng too crowded and a party place?

We are looking some bungalows near the beach which cost no more than 2500 baths(if posible)

bromley
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai vs Bophut

bophut will give you what your asking for,its lovely.try the smile house

Spain
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai vs Bophut

Thank you pjashby65!

I will take a look on Bophut hotel you recommend.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai vs Bophut

Recently, we stayed at Marina Villa in Lamai:

http://www.marinavillasamui.com/

Great location on the gorgeous beach tho the surf is rough & usually has a red flag. Bungalows are Spartan but had TV & A/C for only 1200 baht (no breakfast) & the pool is really nice, tho kinda crowded (more like cramped for space, just a teeny bit) compared to Lipa (on west coast), & there were families with little kids. Good restaurant w/great view. They also offer the cheapest internet access around (60 baht an hour, I think) until the reception desk closes at 10pm. Marina Village is only steps away from great bars & tons of restaurants, etc. but a bit less insane than Chaweng.

Spain
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai vs Bophut

Marina villa, looks nice but is Lamai beach very rough?

We are looking for a beach to swimm, snorkel, etc. so quiet water is important.

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai vs Bophut

I agree Bohut will suit what you are after.

The 2 most asked question about Samui are weather & Is Chaweng too crowded.Everybody who has visited Samui has an opinion on Chaweng & most differ,I personally like it but it`s definetly not everybodies cup of tea.Chaweng is the most popular place on Samui because it offers the most of everything(restaurants,shopping & entertainment options)& also the beach has the best sand & water conditions so all of the above attracts people.

I always stay at the southern end of Chaweng,it has the best all round beach condtions not a whole heap of people,there are also a number of nice resorts in different price ranges.Southern Chaweng also has a number of nice restaurants & entertainment options

7 is near by main Chaweng if you want to venture down & have a look.

A nice resort at the southern end that gets good reviews is Sans Souci & is worth a look.

Hope this helps

Jamie

Spain
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai vs Bophut

Thank you Jamie!

Sans Souci looks great. I think it is maybe what we are looking for.

A quiet and relaxing place, but close enough to the center, in case we want some "action" or going out for dinner or having a drink.

The price is also very good, considering the prices of other resorts.

I read yesterday in a guide that Bophut beach is not as beautiful as Chaweng. So maybe Chaweng would be our place if we can find a resort a little away from the center.

Thank you all for your help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai vs Bophut

Moon5, check out Chaweng & Lamai beaches online live (remember the time difference):

http://www.samuicam.com/

See the water? u can swim near the shore. I don't know if there's any place to snorkel on Ko Samui tho ~ you'll have to take a boat trip if u want to see coral & fish.

8. Re: Chaweng vs Lamai vs Bophut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 15, 2009