We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection time in Bangkok

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spain
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Connection time in Bangkok

Hello!

We are going for our first ever trip to Thailand! We are going to Chiang Mai then Krabi, then Bangkok.

I wondered if any of you experienced travelers can tell me if we are going to have our first adventure soon after arrival in Thailand.

Our travel agent booked us on a connecting flight to Chaing Mai 1 hour and 5 minuted after the scheduled arrival in Bangkok.

We are flying Thai Air from Madrid.

He called the Thai air company and they said that the connection time was fine.

Does that sound right to those of you who are experienced?

Thanks-Chipi

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection time in Bangkok

Hi Chipi,

We had the same amount of time when landing in BKk from Phuket and it is possible - tight but possible. By the time we had gone to baggage collection and our luggage came through it took 50 minutes. It then took another (faced pace) 10 minute walk to check in for our next flight.

I assume you are factoring in the 1.5 hours prior to departure?

Sarah

xx

Spain
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection time in Bangkok

Sara-

Ok . ¡¡NOW I am freaking out!!

We arrive in BKK from Madrid at 7:10 am and our flight is scheduled to depart to Chiang Mai at 8:15 am. Our agent said the luggage would go all the way through.

Is this not people's experience?

Ay ayay!-

Chipi

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
793 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection time in Bangkok

Assuming both your flights to CNX (international and domestic) are on Thai Airways, your luggage will be checked all the way through to Chiang Mai. You will not collect them and clear Customs in Bangkok, but rather in Chiang Mai. Also, you will not clear Immigration in Bangkok either, as that is done in Chiang Mai as well. All you need to do is get off the flight from Madrid and walk over to the domestic transfer area and board your flight to Chiang Mai. An hour is more than enough for that. Even if your Madrid flight is delayed and you miss your 8:15 am flight, there are TG flights leaving nearly every hour from BKK to CNX, and TG would just put you on the next one.

So, no worries. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the flight!

Spain
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection time in Bangkok

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

We are Thai air the whole way.

That's the kind of transfer I like!!

Thanks for the clear description.

-Chipi

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection time in Bangkok

Hi Chipi,

So sorry for freaking you out. I had (wrongly) assumed that you were changing airlines - you will have plenty of time. It was waiting for the luggage that slowed everything up.

Once again, truly sorry - have a agreat trip.

Sarah

xx

Eastern Standard...
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection time in Bangkok

I returned to Thailand a week ago, between taxiing and parking on the hard stand and waiting for a bus to bring us to the terminal consumed around 45 minutes.

Immigration procedures was pretty fast, waiting for our bags took at least another 20 minutes. (You can change your money over in Chiang Mai to save time.)

Having your bags transferred to your next flight without you claiming them will be a plus in your favor. You still have to find and get to the right gate too! This airport is pretty big!

I don't think your travel agent did you any favors booking the flights so close together. Thai Air doesn't have any say over what your arriving flight does or does not do. They sell tickets, they (TG) still get paid for your flight if you leave with them or not!

You could have spent a night or two in Bangkok, unload any cold weather clothes and stuff you don't want to carry all over Thailand with you, get used to the heat and rest a little. Some hotels will store stuff for you until you return to Bangkok. Seeing and finding your hotel the first day will make it easier on the return to Bangkok.

Or, you could have booked a later flight to Chiang Mai and if your first pane arrived early you could have flown standby for the earlier departure. Just another opinion.

Eastern Standard...
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection time in Bangkok

Let me make this a little clearer.

I said, "Thai Air doesn't have any say over what your arriving flight does or does not do. They sell tickets, they (TG) still get paid for your flight if you leave with them or not!"

(Thai Air may not have control over your first flight arriving exactly on time because of wind or weather, etc. There are situations that , even though they are the national carrier and get many perks, beyond their control. Cracks in the runway right now are slowing down some normal airport procedures. You are fortunate that both carriers are from the same airline company, if you are late they will probably book you on a later flight.)

Okay

8. Re: Connection time in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 21, 2009