We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for places to visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for places to visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai

Looking fot any recommendations on where to visit in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. This will be our 2nd trip to Chiang Mai (we loved first time) and our first to Chiang Rai.

The first trip we had, we enjoyed visiting the many temples around Chiang Mai and getting a taste of the culture which was amazing. We also took a trip to up north to an Elephant camp where we had a great trek through the forest, lunch and tried the river rafting which was very relaxing. On the way back we visited the orchid farm. All was very memorable. Another highlight was the night market and the Riverside Restaurant. So, we're looking for any new ideas, otherwise we'll probably do a bit more of the same again!

We're staying at the Amari Rincome in Chiang Mai for 4 nights, and the Dusit Resort in Chiang Rai for 4 nights. Moving onto Koh Samui after for 6 nights and staying at the Amari Palm Reef.

Really appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts - but I know we'll have a great time anyway!

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for places to visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai

maybe you could go on a mountain bike tour (a lot of downhill). They are available for all levels, it is a nice way to explore the nature, see some villages and temples away from the busy city...

http://www.mountainbikingchiangmai.com/

A few hours at a spa would be the perfect thing to do after that.

The Oasis Spa is a real experience (several outlets in the city, all different).

If you've seen the night bazaar, you must see the Sunday market at Taphae Gate.

If you're into shopping, the Baan Tawai (a village outside the city) is really interesting for all the wooden products.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for places to visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai

Dear Hol2be:

Which elephant camp did you see? Did you go on one of the Elephant camp / rafting trips with a particular guide or organization? We are going to Chiang Mai (our first trip) in two weeks, and I'd like some info on which elephant camps are best.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for places to visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai

We went to Mae Taeng Elephant Park. It included a trip down the river on a log raft which was also fun and gave us a chance to enjoy the scenery and watch the birdlife. The elephants certainly seemed well cared for. Good luck finding somewhere.

Isle Of Man
Level Contributor
154 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for places to visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai

Hi

Could you give me more info on your trip to the Elephants at Mae Taeng? How did you book it?

We will be in Chaing Mai for 2 days so would we need to book in advance?

Would we be able to get there under our own steam? If we employed a driver, is it far, what would we expect to pay?

When you ride the elephants is this is a basket on their backs or one person to one elepant mahood style?

Did you do the whole elephants/river raft as an excursion or is this something you sorted yourselves.

I am really interested in hearing your experiences of this "adventure"

Thank you.

Fairfax, California
Level Contributor
494 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for places to visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai

Hey Doc,

My trip is FINALLY coming up soon to Chiang Mai!

Which direction is Ban Tawaii village from the City? How far?

What makes you rave about Oasis Spa so much? Must be pretty good huh? Think we will give it a try after our biking outing!

As always, thanks for your help!

Susie

Auckland New Zealand
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for places to visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai

Go to Let's Relax www.bloomingspa.com - Chiang Mai branch near Chiang Mai night bazaar (above Mcdonald)

It's affordable, reasonable price and good quality masage.

Scotland
Level Contributor
277 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for places to visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai

We can also recommend the spa above the mcdonalds. But my doughter & I also enjoyed the treatments we received at a little place called 'Sea Bijn'. It was much cheaper than the one in town. I don't have the address but they advertise in the magazines that you can pick up from hotels etc.

The white water rafting was a great day out too!

We also love the Riverside but another restuarant we liked very much was River Ping Palace Restaurant. Small teak house on the river. We asked the very friendly lady owner to recommend dishes & we weren't disappointed. ( She is famous for her Mango cheesecake). Not the cheapest of meals but very nice & lovely setting.

Re Chiang Rai. We stayed at the legend which was situated on the river & the hotel arranged a private boat trip for us. The local man picked us up from the hotel jetty & we traevlled along the river until we came to an elephant camp. There was no other tours or anything there only us. We bought the boat guy a drink & we did an elephant ride up through the village, past the paddy fields & back along the river. All very nice. Can't remember the price but it was peanuts!.

Also, highly recommend the taylor in Chiang rai (the one opposite the deaprtment store). His work is excellent & he is so proud of it too! My husband got a pure wool suit for £50 or £60.

8. Re: Tips for places to visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 21, 2009