We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel & Accom around New Years

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Travel & Accom around New Years

Hello all,

We will be travelling to Thailand from Australia on December 27th and plan to be in BKK (somewhere we know well) until about the 2nd of Jan. From there, we plan to catch the train up to Chiang Mai (the great unknown for us!) Our party will be 4 adults and 1 child. I have a couple of questions:

1. Should we have any problems securing tickets for the train around that time - I assume we can buy them from the station in BKK

2. We would like to try the guesthouse accomodation we have heard so much about in Chiang Mai. Can anyone advise on the likely availability in very early January - I see many do not take reservations in advance.

3. If you have any recommendations for guesthouses in the area I would love to hear them

4. We hope to get out to Pai as well - I have read in other posts about the mini van transport to get there from Chiang Mai, do they also have guesthouses and if so, can you nominate any good ones.

thanks all, in anticipation

Greg

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel & Accom around New Years

Hi,

You should book the train tickets as soon as you arrive, either you go to the train station yourself, or you ask your guesthouse to take care of it.

Early January is the high season, it is better to make reservations if you have any particular place in mind.

Chiangmai Thai House is a very nice place (with pool) if your budget is below 1,000 baht per room and you wish to be in the city center while in a quiet area.

There are many guesthouses in Pai, try those in the mountain outside the city, like Pai Mountain Lodge.

2. Re: Travel & Accom around New Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, August 22, 2009