We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

Singapore
8 posts
Save Topic
Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

Hi Doc Tremblay, I am planning a trip to Chiangmai in Dec with some friends. As our group is quite large( about 20 pax including children) we intend to make tour arrangements before arrival to avoid hassle. I have been trying to emai mautour several times but did not get any reply from them. Recently their website also appears to be down. Would you happen to know if they are still in operation? If so what's the best way to get in touch with them. Alternatively can you recommend a reliable travel agent. Also what do you think of Chiangmatic.com. Their website seems impressive ( seems better than mautour) and the tour itineraries seem quite good.

Thanking you in advance.

Mark

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

Hi,

regarding Mautour they're still in operation, but if you emailed them several times and they didn't reply, don't bother... you give them their chance to organize tours for 20 people. Either they're not interested or they have technical problems.

Chiangmaitics is well known on various forums (including here) for posting fake reviews about their services. The only real reviews I read weren't good.

What kind of tours are you looking for ?

- day tours in and around the city ?

- trips in Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai provinces ?

- treks ?

Depending on your answer a good alternative could be to rent directly 2 minibus + drivers/guides.

Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

Hi Doc, thanks for your speedy reply. Much appreciated. I have our itinerary planned out as follows and would appreciate your comments and recommendation.

Day 1 Arrive CM 10.30am transfer to hotel. Afternoon city tour and visit to Doi Suthep temple.(Wonder if we have time to visit coffee plantation that you mentioned in another post?) Evening KIV khantoke dinner.

Day 2 Visit to either Chiangdao or Mae Sai elephant camp (I read that the scenery around Chiangdao camp is more beautiful, true?).Elephant trekking to lisu village and bamboo raft ride afterwards. Also KIV visit Chiangdao caves or caves at Mae Sai.

Day 3 Visit to Doi Inthanon including waterfalls and Chedi temple at mountain top.

Day 4 Check out and proceed to Belle Villa resort. Enroute to visit handicraft village at Sankampaeng.

Day 5 Relaxing day at Belle Villa.

Day 6 Check out. Last minute mall shopping before our flight at 6pm.

Your suggestion of hiring 2 minibuses sounds good but will they plan these tour itinerary? Can you recommend an agent then?

Thanks and regards

Mark

Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

One more point Doc,

Is the Royal flover expo worth visiting? Perhaps we can take it in on our last day instead of going shopping. May I also know exactly where is it being held.

Thanks and regards

Mark

London,England
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

Dear.. Mark

I have used TIC travel on a number of occasions over the past few years and found the staff and the tours to be excellent. I really do not see how Doc Tremblay can make a sound judgement about an organisation if, as he says, "I don't know about their services". He then goes on to say that he doesn't "...know much about travel agents in Chiang Mai". The latter comment is obvious if he has never tried TIC.

I found the staff charming, honest and friendly, and the tours they offer are good value for money. I would recommend TIC travel to any traveller - especially anyone who is on their first trip to Chiang Mai.

Or …blogspot.com/2006/02/thailand-2006-Chiang-M…

Hope this help and fare for them.

Matt

Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

Hi Matt, thanks for your input. May I know if you took their package tours or had your own itinerary?

Singapore
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

Hi

Just to add my personal views on getting a local tour agent in Chiang Mai:

There are many companies offering these services and I believe that most of them are decent. You can easily find them when you are in Chiang Mai or through their advertising in travel guide magazines.

But, of course, with your large group you'll wnat to nail all the arrangements before you arrive in Chaing Mai.

Maybe one way is to get the assistance of the hotel you're staying at. I don't think their rates would be all that different to getting the agent direct, unless you're staying at a 5-star hotel.

Since you have planned your schedule you may not need a guide, and there should be no difficulty in getting quotes. I paid B1,500 for a full day use of a minivan with driver only last February. This will be about average, with some companies charging extra for petrol (which again costs a minimal B200 - 300). I used Journey Tours Tel: 66 53 208 787 Fax: 66 53 273 428 and I found them reliable. But you can use any other licensed tour agent.

I will also be in Chiang Mai in November ofr Loy Kratong and the Royal Flora Expo.

Feel free to call me (65 62878719 Kenneth) if you need any tips or advice).

London,England
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

Hi.. Mark

I did with my own itineraries for

1. Doi Suthep temple + Khantoke dinner

2. Elephant show + riding, Lisu villange and Bamboo rafting at Chiang dao elephant camp.

3. Doi Inthanon National park

Regards,

Matt

Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

Hi thaitravelking aka kenneth,

Thanks for your input. May I ask if an entry charge is applicable for the flower expo. If so do you know what are the charges like.

Also the van you hire for 1500batt... roughly how many people can it take? Just wondering if we need to hire 2 or maybe 3 vans if we decide to do so.

Thanks

Mark

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

Ukpa,

read again, i'm just saiyng that this travel agent is well known for posting fake reviews on various forums. Easy to spot, it's usually made by newly registered people who only post about that agent... rings a bell ?

They're probably not worse than the hundreds of travel agents throuhout the city (but they're surely no better either, if we are to believe reliable reviews by real customers), and how can you trust someone who faking positive reviews to attract customers ?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking help from Doc Tremblay for Dec Chiangmai trip

I am sorry but I have to agree with Doc here... why is it only ever new posters that defend Chiang mai Tic??? I was sceptical at first when I heard this but having followed this and other forums for the past 6 months... there is a definate pattern to the posts defending them or posting 'good reviews'