We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay in Chang Mai

canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Places to stay in Chang Mai

Hello,

I am travelling with a group of 4 and would like to find a place to stay in Chang Mai.

We are in our mid to late 20's and would like to be close to the night bazaar and good restaurants and bars but also enjoy a good nights sleep.

Budget is about $30 US per night.

Thank you in advance.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Places to stay in Chang Mai

We stayed in the Chiang Mai Plaza and were happy with it. It has old style Thai decor and is walking distance from the night bazaar.

Or
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Places to stay in Chang Mai

I also stayed at the Chiang Mai Plaza last November and it was beautiful, swimming pool and includes buffet style breakfast - should be in your price range, we had a deluxe room for around that price. Walking distance to night market. Very nice place!!

british columpia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Places to stay in Chang Mai

Well then...here's a Great place to stay. It's called the Tri Gong Residence located close to everything that's fun in Chiang Mai. Ask any tuk tuk driver to take you to Moonmuang Soi 9. to the end of that alley..hang a right and just a couple of buildings down on the left side is the Tri Gong...the owner and his wife are the nicest people i've met. They seem to have lots of residents who stay for long periods of time..i stayed for 21/2 weeks. Right across from them is a travel agent...they're also great. These people became my family when I was there. Tri Gong was 500BAHT per nite, the best beds i slept in on the whole 5 weeks in Thailand...clean very clean, hot and cold nice showers, ...free coffee and internet..altho 2 doors down in Char Coa which has great coffee and food...internet cafes everywhere...i used the one @ the travel agent. Lots of nice little vegetarian cafes on the soi (alley) behind Tri Gong...Grace House..Blue Diamond..cheap and absolutely delicious. If you're booking any tours i suggest the travel agent across from Tri Gong..they're honest and helpful. Also..check out the Sunday Market...it starts at the Taepae Gate and goes for blocks and blocks. It's the most amazing market with good quality crafts. The locals shop there..didn't seem to be swamped with too many farang. Not much bartering happens there..but really...things are so cheap to start with that it's almost insulting to offer less. Just be considerate..i saw so many rude tourists that basically told the locals ..too much money and walk away rudely. How insulting to them to be told that their art is worthless. The time they put into making things is something to put us North Americans to shame! The Night Market is fun...i was there everynite...If you see something you like...buy it cause you might never find it again! Be prepared to barter there..that's part of the game. It's expected. By the Night Market (not the Sunday Market) is a pub called the Irish Pub..nice place to cool off with a cold one...2 doors down is a great Muslim restaurant..good and cheap. Chiang Mai has loads of fantastic restaurants from Italian, Greek, Israeli, Vegetarian, Ribs..check out Hell's Kitchen for some good southern b-b-q ribs...the owner is quite a nice man. Check out cooking schools..a great way to experience hands on Thai cooking..Baan Thai was good. If you can't find any room @ Tri Gong Residence you can look @ SK Guesthouse..all the tuk tuk drivers know this place. It's 500 Baht per nite..has a pool, nice gardens but frankly after a couple of days they start to ignore you. The rooms are not too bad but the lighting isn't great. They seem to always be busy and arrange treks and other tours as well. Enjoy...you will LOVE CHIANG MAI

chiangmai
Level Contributor
11 posts
4. Re: Places to stay in Chang Mai

down town inn ,very close night bazaar

liilin

Goa, India
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Places to stay in Chang Mai

I agree Down Town Inn is just fine.

r24.org/chiangdao.com/…

Bill.

6. Re: Places to stay in Chang Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 21, 2009