We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

In an effort to decrease the multitude of threads about these events, we ask that all questions about the events be added to this thread rather than starting new threads or reviving old ones.

There are four separate events that take place during or around the 12th full moon of the Thai lunar calendar (usually the full moon in November). Unfortunately much dis-information is floating around the internet causing much confusion.

Yee Ping Festival is celebrated throughout northern Thailand and originated to mark the beginning of winter. Celebrated by the use of lanterns, during the festival folks decorate their house, businesses with lanterns of various types and launch khom lois (fire lanterns) into the skies to bring them good luck.

Loi Krathong Festival is celebrated throughout all of Thailand, with the most enjoyable locations being Chiang Mai and Sukhothai. Its origination is not certain, but believed to be making an offering to the water spirits in thanks for the water that the rainy season brought before the dry season. It is marked primarily by floating krathongs, which are lotus flower shaped offerings carrying a candle, incense and a coin, down a river or on a body of water such as a lake, canal or moat.

Lanna Khatina Ceremony (aka Mae Jo "public" event) is a Buddhist ceremony conducted by the Dharma Sect and held at the Tudongkasatan Lanna (a meditation center) behind Mae Jo university. It is a long religious affair that culminates with mass launchings of thousands of khom lois. Videos of these launches are posted on YouTube and other video sharing site, often mis-labeled as Yee Ping. The ceremony is open to anyone who wishes, but tourists need to remember it IS a religious ceremony not a show and polite dress is mandatory.

Yee Ping Lanna (aka Mae Jo "tourist" event) is a made for tourists recreation of the Lanna Khatina Ceremony, which unfortunately was poorly named leading to confusion (it is NOT Yee Ping). Admission to this event is by ticket only, with only a limited number of spaces available and a $100 plus price tag. It follows the format of the religious ceremony culminating with the mass balloon launch, though not as many as the original.

Both Yee Ping Festival and Loi Krathong Festival are celebrated during the full moon, with a large variety of events planned for three days around the full moon, including parades, concerts, dancing, food festivals, etc. During the three official days of the festivals, plus often a day or two before and after, the skies over Chiang Mai are filled with hundreds, even thousands of khom lois floating upward. And the Ping River has a myriad of krathongs floating along its length, like a million twinkling stars on the water.

The Lanna Khatina Ceremony and its look alike Yee Ping Lanna take place around the same time, with Lanna Khatina often on the weekend before the full moon and the tourist event the weekend after. However these dates are not officially announced until a month or so ahead (usually in either September or October) and the dates have been known to vary from the week before/after scenario.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Sukhothai
Sukhothai
Sukhothai Province, Thailand
272 replies to this topic
KL
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

This is very informative, thanks. Looking forward to join these festivals in November.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,558 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

Hi,

Hopefully this link will add to MyCycling's excellent explanation and provide clarity to the many questions and misunderstandings.

thaizer.com/festivals/…

Cheers

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

This latest release (via Chiang Mai Best on the13-Oct-2014) from the office of the Mayor of Chiang Mai, offers an accurate description of the events, times, dates, and the location of festivities that will take place during the 2014 Chiang Mai Yee Peng / Loy Krathong Festival.

I feel this schedule could be a helpful tool in the days ahead for the many visitors to Chiang Mai.

Have fun

chiangmaibest.com/loy-krathong-yee-peng/

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Save Reply
4. Re: Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

Thanks this is great!! I'll be there for the holidays !!

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

Thanks for the detailed write up. I will be in Chiang Mai from the 5th noon to 8th early morning. Look forward to make some beautiful memories while there. :)

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai, Thailand
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

็I would like to recommend route trip to this Festival to escape from the traffic jam.

I spent an hour 40 minutes in round trip for this route by starting at downtown in Chiang Mai by Motorcycle (go and back for 50 min/trip). I am so happy with this route which less people know about it. I take this route and have more time to do other activities instead of caught in the traffic jam. You can see and study the route in this link https:/…

Have a good trip

Thank You

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

Hey folks

Arrived yesterday and staying in a condo this time so no "tour desk" and was wondering if anyone knows a good place to book some transport for tomorrow?

Thanks

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

About the only transport available at this late date would be a songteaw or tuk tuk or taxi, as most of the recommended drivers will have been booked a long time ago. The folks at the office / front desk may have some phone numbers for taxis / tuk tuks.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

Thanks, we were thinking of jumping in a songteaw from the Chang Puak Gate but was previously told it would be difficult getting back if we didn't hire one for the return journey. I've since been told there's heaps of songteaw's waiting to return. I just hope that's the case! All part of the adventure though!!

Mentioned in this post
Chang Puak Hotel
Chang Puak Hotel
86 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches

Good morning everyone!

Thank you Mr. Cycling for the really helpful information. As a traveller I find it very important to learn the correct customs and history of events like the Lanna Khatina Ceremony :) So thank you for the very useful information! It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day for the massive ballon launch at Lanna Dhutanka temple (behind MaeJo).

Are we certain the event is still scheduled as planned for today Saturday 25th October 2014?

What time would you recommend leaving Chiang Mai for the event? I plan on using the very helpful route guide which was posted on this thread.

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Reply to: Yee Ping, Loi Krathong & Mae Jo Balloon Launches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted